The New House: built-ins and other updates

Friday, October 10, 2014

Just a week after I revealed our new living and dining room, Matt built and installed our built in bookshelves and window seat. I'm in love with them to say the least. I didn't realize how plain that back wall in the living room was until we displayed all of our books, plus some photos, trinkets and plants.

I spent a few weeks styling them (it took me forever to find the right mix of photos and art and stacking books), but it was a lot of fun. I still need to find a photo for one of the frames, but nonetheless, here are a few photos:

The finished product!


This might be my favorite shelf with the bamboo and the photo of Matt by the sea when he was small.
Yes that is our Harry Potter collection and yes that is the Elder wand. We're dorks. 
Brighton has a little shelf of her own with some of the nicer hardback books from my childhood collection.
I've always wanted a window seat so we created one for the space. The drawer front is the same reclaimed wood we used in our kitchen


Matt did a darn good job if I say so myself!


We still have a few odd jobs to finish around the house like installing shoe molding in all the bedrooms, building the headboard for the master bedroom, hanging art and styling the guest bedroom and finding two arm chairs for the dining room (I like these - what do you think?). And I finally ordered lamps for our bedroom (I got two of these and thank goodness I had a coupon!)

We also have some major work to do in each bathroom and I need to take down wallpaper in the laundry room and paint the walls, but we plan to wait a year to tackle those. We need a little break!

3 comments:

  1. Oh wow, I love it!! The shelves and styling look fantastic- that drawer is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE it!!!! You all have done such a great job! Love the built in bookshelves and window seat. Well done, Matt!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting!!

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground