Happy Thanksgiving (a day late)

Friday, November 28, 2014



I had typed out a Thanksgiving post, then a food post, then re-wrote the Thanksgiving post, then my computer somehow ate all of it and it disappeared. So here is my Thanksgiving post, a day late, written in the late afternoon as Brighton naps, and Matt braves Costco for some groceries and much needed baby-wipes, and I am procrastinating folding laundry and meal planning. I feel tired and a little thinned out. The holidays are always a special time, but if I'm honest they are really tiring too.

I am thankful. I am thankful for a lot of my life, what has come to me through no work of my own, and thankful for what I have worked really, really hard for too. Both are equally wonderful.

I am thankful that my sweet potato casserole turned out to taste fine yesterday, and thankful that hardly anyone ate my other side of roasted sweet potato wedges with marshmallow and brown butter dipping sauce because they actually came out tasting sort of strange - overcooked, dry and too sweet.

I am thankful that my daughter took a long nap yesterday, in a place she was unfamiliar with, which in turn gave Matt and myself a chance to play a board game with his brother and sister. I have been their "other" sibling for over a decade now and for the longest time it was just us four kids - no significant others for either of them for almost seven years. Now they both have partners. It's still good, and I'm thankful for them having love in their lives, but it felt like old times, the four of us playing a game, and teasing each other, and laughing to the point of tears. I am thankful that I married into a family that accepted me as their own so quickly.

I am also so thankful for my parents who accept that we have to switch families for holidays, and are graceful about it. They make the best of being parents to an only child. I am thankful that they take such good care of my daughter and that she loves them so much. I could not raise her without them.

I am thankful for some material things too - my new washer and dryer. We left our front loaders at our first house for the renters and the machines at our new home had were terrible - it sometimes took 3 hours to dry one load. It's silly to be thankful for appliances, but they have saved us a little money in electricity costs and they work the first time, every time. It saves me time too. And everyone always needs more time.

I am thankful for Brighton and Matt. That goes without saying of course. I am thankful for all they are, and all they are not (if that makes sense), and all the light they bring wherever they go. I am lucky to have them as my family. I love them so much.

And I'm thankful for this little corner of the internet. I've been blogging here since 2010 and I have loved all of the wonderful people I have interacted with here and through social media. The internet is weird for sure, but I'm thankful for what it has brought to my life too.

Happy Thanksgiving, a day late!

1 comment:

Thank you so much for commenting!!

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground