Did you know that in the U.S. almost 400,000 children are living without permanent families in the foster care system and 101,666 of these children are eligible for adoption? Did you know that around the world, there are an estimated 153 million orphans who have lost one parent?
November is National Awareness Adoption Month and to help bring awareness to something that has always been close to my heart, I have listed a few resources about the subject. These resources aren't just for prospective adoptive families, or adoptees, but for everyone who wants to know more about adoption.
Children's Welfare League of America
North American Council for Adoptable Children
Beginner's Guide to Adoption
Dave Thomas Foundation
A list of some of the best adoption books out there
Some great advice to adoptive parents
Also, here are some great adoption blogs/profiles:
Erika and Matt
Jess and Jay
Adeye and Anthony
Amanda Woolston
30 Portraits of Adoption
Most of us know at least one person who has been adopted or someone who has adopted or someone who is waiting to adopt (I know I do!) and educating ourselves on the subject helps bring understanding to the complexity and emotions that come with the territory. While we are on the fence if we will pursue adoption again, I've made an effort to continue to learn about it for the sake of the people I know, and for those I will one day meet who have experienced adoption.
Happy Adoption Awareness Month!

I love that graphic!! And thanks for mentioning us! :)
ReplyDelete