So it seems everyone is talking about capsule wardrobes. If you don't know what one is, this is a great introduction to one. The idea is that your wardrobe is small and limited to only pieces you 100% love, fit your body, can be interchangeable etc. I've read about a few bloggers / fashion writers creating capsule wardrobes by season, but have even seen people take it to the extreme and have a capsule for all seasons (meaning like 40 pieces of clothing for the whole year!)
I totally get the appeal - it's easier to get dressed in the morning, you can get your money's worth out of the items you have, you know that whatever you wear you'll be comfortable in and it forces you to be more creative with less.
But I just can't do it.
First, I have two wardrobes already - a work one and a regular life one. They don't overlap that much, save a few shirts and sweaters. My work wardrobe is designed for the industry and area of the country I work in - it consists mostly of black/brown/navy/grey and includes lots of dress pants, pencil skirts, cardigans, blazers and a random dress here and there. There are a few blouses and sweaters I wear to work and also on the weekends in my "regular" life, but mostly my work style isn't my true style. It's the style I have to adapt to because my company and the people I work with are super conservative, business professional and preppy. I try to mix it up by wearing statement jewelry, carrying a brightly colored bag or wearing cool flats, but honestly that wardrobe is a snooze-fest. And that's on purpose. I purchase pants, skirts and blazers that are timeless and simple so I can use them year over year, but buy items like cardigans and blouses on the cheap.
My regular life wardrobe is where I could try the capsule concept, but honestly I don't want to. I like variety since I have very little of it 40+ hours a week. I do have a lot of great basics I wear all the time like dark rinse and black skinny jeans, a green utility jacket for fall, grey and white t-shirts and my grey Vans sneakers, but I can't bring myself to limit it to just those items.
Second, the idea sounds like it costs just as much money as regular shopping. I clean out my closet every season anyways, donating or selling items that I don't love anymore and don't fit. I spent a little extra this fall and purchased some new "basic" items like a few blouses that I could wear for any occasion, plus a new pair of jeans, but trying to buy more just to create a perfect capsule sounds more expensive to me.
Third, I just love shopping. I'm sure I'll get raked over the coals for admitting that, but I love it. I'm not addicted by any means, and I don't do it often, but I love the process of it. I also love Stitch Fix. My referral link if you want to sign up: stitchfix.com
)
And I can't get rid of some of my clothes - even though I have this ugly pair of boyfriend jeans that make me look 10 pounds heavier, I can't throw them out. They're comfortable and perfect for working in the yard on cold days, or wearing them when I work from home. I have a few things that are sentimental too - a cherry print sundress, a puffer vest that was my dad's from the 70s and a silk tank top I bought with my first real paycheck. It's weird to be sentimental about clothes, but I am about a few things.
Although I am really impressed by those who choose to do a seasonal capsule. I just can't do it myself (which probably makes me uncool. Oh well.)
Although I am really impressed by those who choose to do a seasonal capsule. I just can't do it myself (which probably makes me uncool. Oh well.)
I agree completely! I love variety, and shopping (especially finding a great deal on a cool piece of clothing). Also, though it might be refreshing at first to have a capsule wardrobe, I think I would get bored after awhile and end up building on it lol.
ReplyDeleteI have a capsule! But honestly, I had no idea that was a thing or that it had a special name until after the fact. I just looked at my wardrobe after two kids and realized I had outgrown it, either style wise (forever 21 pieces from my young twenties just weren't working for me anymore or they were stretched out ill fitting pieces.) I realized I was only wearing a handful of the stuff I actually wore so I weeded all that stuff out and basically started over. Since I had to start over and didn't want to break the bank I had to be very intentional with the new clothing I got. Now, most of my clothing can be mixed and matched and I like that I can create a lot of outfits out of just a few pieces. An accidental capsule wardrobe! I had no idea I was being so trendy. I have found myself getting a little bored lately, so now I'm working on adding more statement bold pieces to add punch and variety into the mix but can still be mixed and matched with my current clothing. My "capsule" is far from perfect blogger capsules but it works for me. I actually enjoy shopping a lot more now because I always have specific pieces in my mind so I feel less overwhelmed when I shop and have less inner debate about whether I'm making a good decision. It also makes me feel less guilty about saving up for a more expensive pieces because I know that it will be fully integrated into the rest of my wardrobe. But when it comes down to it, I think clothing should be fun and self expressive, whatever way that looks like.
ReplyDelete