New House: Dining Room Planning

Friday, February 6, 2015


Last August,  I revealed our new dining room and living room. Although the after was great and we love how open the space is, the dining room table and chairs (and lack of other furniture in the space) were never meant to be permanent.

The table we currently have is problematic in a few ways. First it is much too small for the space. It's meant to sit 6 on a regular basis and comes with 2 extensions. Those extensions make the table longer, but still limit the seating - we could seat 10 with the extensions in, but people would either have to straddle the legs or squish together between the sections. Second, the table looks cheap and worn (it is cheap - it's Ikea!) and is the wrong color wood and style for our house. The table worked great in our other tiny home, but our style has evolved and we need something more substantial for this space.

For the past few months I've been pinning ideas and searching online for the right style, size and shape table for the dining room. We have taken our time replacing the table and chairs because we wanted to save up some money to pay for everything in cash, but also to live in the space for a while and see what would make sense. Sadly, everything we like is either too costly or isn't big enough, or has legs in the wrong spots (like at the ends so you can't seat someone at the "head" of the table).

So we are thinking of building one on our own - one that would be about a foot or more longer than our current table and about 8 inches wider. This would give us the ability to seat 10 comfortably and squeeze 12 in if we needed to. It would also allow for us to leave platters and serving dishes in the middle of the table during meals. We are leaning towards a table that is slightly rustic with clean lines and a mid-tone wood grain that would mirror our kitchen countertops, like this:

Via
Or this:
Via
We would also look for chairs that would fit the new aesthetic. We have these chairs in white as our arm chairs, but need to find something different, but complementary for the sides. (If you have any suggestions or ideas, please share!) Also, I'm thinking about whether we need any additional pieces in the space - a shallow buffet and a large corner plant perhaps? (Again, if you have an opinion, please share!)

The search continues... Also, is it just me, or is decorating and styling a home so much fun? I wish I could do this as my full time job!

Happy Friday!


P.S. I'm also about to replace the birch colored legs on my sofa with these handmade beauties. What a steal!!! Now my couch can look more custom and mid-century :)

5 comments:

  1. I think that the space could definitely use something more. Maybe a nice sideboard to go under the wall collage? It honestly depends on how much storage you need; there is no point in getting a big piece if y'all don't need it. I think a shallow sideboard plus extra chairs on either side could be great.

    I totally recommend building your own table. You and your husband are obviously talented enough and that's probably the only way to get exactly what you want. There are SO many DIY dining table plans on Pinterest, so I bet you could combine them or utilize them as a guide to build your dream table. My husband and I are dying to do this but we don't actually have the space yet, so I plan to live vicariously through you guys =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Colleen! We definitely don't need more storage but a shallow buffet might make the space seem done. And Id love a big plant too somewhere! Thanks for your suggestions!!!!

      Delete
  2. If we were handy people, we would've totally built our own table (good dining tables are expensive!) So ya'll should totally do it. I love the idea of a shallow buffet. Also a dining room rug could really anchor and define the space, especially since it's so open. That may sound crazy with kids, but you could get an indoor/outdoor type of rug that would be easy to clean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been debating a rug! Indoor/outdoor is a great idea. Thanks babe!!!

      Delete
  3. We (Sean) built our table and I'm still obsessed with it. I posted pics on Instagram a while back. We got 3 inch thick old barn floor boards for the top and old porch posts (chopped in half) for the legs. We found similar chairs to the first pic at the restoration hardware outlet - check there if you have one! It's amazing! They do big sales on holidays - I actually think we hit up a Presidents' Day sale a couple years ago!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting!!

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground