Nursery Ideas

Monday, November 1, 2010

Warning: Frivolity ensuing. I am in full on nesting mode and am in the middle of decorating Baby M's nursery. So I want to blog about it. A lot. The dresser redo was the 1st of many posts. I'll try to keep myself in check ;)

Even before Matt and I started trying for Baby M, or pursuing adoption, I was borderline obsessed with decorating blogs, look books and decor dedicated to babies. The idea of creating a unique space for future child has become very popular as of late and it's been really fun to find out what other parents are doing to create a "cozy nest" for their child. (Seriously, 9 out of 10 blogs refer to their child's room as "cozy nest." I'll try to not use that term after this post.)

Some of the sites I have been following are:
  • Young House Love (this is a daily readership here!)
  • Baby Space (Australia at its finest)
  • i heart baby (She hearts baby rooms, clothes, toys, shoes...)
  • With Two Cats (her nursery has been featured on most major design blogs, numerous websites and even on HGTV!)
  • Design Sponge (my friend Tia turned me onto this site over a year ago, again another daily read)
  • Bleubird Vintage (not a baby design site, but she posts a ton about her baby girl and her cool style)
  • Boho Baby Bump (my friend Jessica's site. love her. love her style. love her blog. and her son too!)
And all of these blogs/sites always link to other design sites, mommy blogs, idea blogs etc.
I've been spending too much time on the Internet methinks!

So all this to say, I've spend a lot of time figuring out what to do with Baby M's room. As you know from this post we have painted the room a light grey with bluish undertones ("Going Grey" by Olympic at Lowe's) and the crib, bookcase, and dresser are white. See the dresser redo here.
And I need to keep the nursery gender neutral since we don't know what we are having and I cannot wait until after we find out - I'm inpatient!

So at first I was inspired by Lauren's nursery from My Two Cats. The color of my nursery walls are pretty similar to hers, their furniture is mostly white and the color scheme (not the patterns or decor technically) could work for either boy or girl. I created an idea board based on the colors but made it more feminine for a girl:
(Please note that the crib, dresser, chair and LOVE sign are same throughout. And the LOVE sign by Robert Indiana that Matt has cut out in MDF would be painted to match whatever color scheme was dominant for that idea board).


Crib Babies R Us, Chair Ikea, Crib Bedding Super Natural Baby, Bird Pillow Joom, Furry Creatures Sabanhur, Grey/White fabric Rocky Top Designs, flower pillow unknown (Etsy I think!)

I liked it but I didn't love it. Plus it was hard to find orange/yellow bedding that wasn't floral or trucks. Nothing gender neutral out there really. I found some robot fabric in orange but I am trying to not add anything cutesy to the space.
So onto my next idea:

Black/white and Be Happy fabric Lana Kole, pink polka dot fabric spellstone, Zebra rug West Elm
I know, I know. It's so girly! But I love the idea of black and white with grey walls, white furniture and lots of fuchsia accents. But it's not gender neutral. There were two other fabric swatch panels by Rocky Top Design (the premier custom baby bedding store on Etsy) that I would love to use if it's a girl:

So pretty right? But again only for a girl!

So my next idea was inspired by this amazing room. This woman makes her own fabrics on Spoonflower and her entire nursery is draped in her amazing line. So here is my "inspired by" idea board:
Yellow squares and celebration bunting fabric thebline, blue polka dots and multi polka dots fabric spellstone, pig toy Land of Nod, blue stuffed animal Ugly Dolls

Precious huh? It's my favorite so far. Cheery and bright. But maybe too bright. Ugh I am indecisive.

But we finally landed on something, but you'll have to wait until the next post to find out.
In the meantime, tell me what you think so far!

4 comments:

  1. I love love love these decorating ideas. Can't wait to see what you chose!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the last one!!! - Tia

    ReplyDelete
  3. to repeat one of my older comments:

    ee heeheehee (my excited giggle)!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting!!

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground