As of tomorrow, it has been exactly 3 months since we have become a waiting family. Based on our preferences and budget, we were informed by the agency that we would most likely be matched with a birth mother (or baby) about 3 - 6 months after we became a waiting family. So the true waiting begins tomorrow!
We have been asked many times over the last few months how we are doing emotionally through this process. Given I am a worrier, you'd assume I've spent the last nine months totally stressed out! But it's been mostly stress free (albeit the money freak outs which you can read about here). I don't know if it's God's grace, or the fact that we've already waited so long, but we are both full of excitement and anticipation, not worry.
There are a few ways this process could be derailed, but anything that happens from this point on will be on par or less stressful than what we had to face through our struggle with infertility. Those three plus years of waiting and the sorrow it brings, and are nothing in comparison to adoption. Over the past two weeks I have had the opportunity to hear from other couples who are going through unexplained infertility or couples who just miscarried and are waiting to try again - I cannot express to you how heartbreaking it is to want something good for your family, and to want it for so long, and to do all the right things and just wait... and wait.... and wait some more. If you have struggled or are struggling with this, I know your pain. It feels endless and isolating. I got through it by the skin of my teeth, and I am still frustrated with the fact that I never received an answer why we cannot have children biologically.
So when I look at the process we went through for those three long years, adoption feels easy. Maybe that's an overstatement, but let me explain - there is a process, a timeline (although a somewhat loose timeline), a bevy of support and resources and above all an end in sight - our child! We had none of those things as we tried for a biological child.
Plus, we have the funds required now, the paperwork is complete, and we are free to travel at any moment to pick up Baby M. A lot of the unknowns are taken out (and new unknowns are brought in too), but there is a clear path to follow. And my Type A personality likes that.
We are excited to see how Baby M's story unfolds. The beginning has been so very sweet, and we are still overwhelmed by the love, support and prayers that have been given towards our child. They are already so very blessed! We'll be praying for patience over these next few months, and to keep whatever worries we have at bay. We know God is in our corner, and is the ultimate protector for our child and author of all our lives.
Love and Blessings,
Matt and Kara
For our Adoption FAQ's click here.
This is such a beautiful post. You will have your beautiful baby; I am so excited for you! sending prayers your way....
ReplyDeletePraying friend! So excited:)
ReplyDelete(Friday 12:06pm)
Kara, I LOVE your blog! Your journey to adopting has become really inspirational to me; and you capture it so beautifully in your blog. I pray that you don't have to wait much longer for Baby M!
ReplyDelete(Friday 12:13pm)
I will be praying for you as well. God bless.
ReplyDelete(Friday 1:01pm)
love the post! feel like i relived our convo on sunday :) LOVE the new banner!!! so awesome!!! and ps- how do you add other people's blog square things to your blog? i want to do that.
ReplyDeleteLaura - I'll show you when we seeeach other Saturday.
ReplyDeleteAll- Thank you for the encouragement!!!!
Great blog! We're so excited for you!
ReplyDelete(Friday 6:26pm)
Sometimes I want to be an Aunt so bad that I get squirmy and fidgety and daydream about buying baby clothes for my future niece or nephew. It's a strange feeling that I have never experienced before. I already have SO much love in my heart for this kid... I already feel like s/he is part of me... I want to hold and love and cuddle and spoil.... I can't wait!
ReplyDelete..all that to say there is someone else (the whole family) that is in this wait with you. XO
ReplyDeleteYay for updates!
ReplyDeleteAdding you to my blog :)