Lent is the season leading up to Easter Sunday where Christians reflect and fast in preparation and to show their devotion to God. I was not raised Catholic, or in any denomination of Christianity that observed Lent. However, in the past few years, Matt and I have taken up the tradition of sacrificing something during Lent.
This year, I am giving up sugar.
I have a terrible sweet tooth, I am addicted to Diet Coke and Coke Zero and also coffee.
Sugar is my downfall. It's what I crave and it's also what makes me chubby. There I admitted it. I'm holding onto some extra weight from the holidays and from eating poorly over the last few months. I eat poorly when I'm stressed... and this waiting game has gotten the best of me. I need some discipline!
I'm hoping this absence of sweetness will help my weight, but more so, I am hoping that the lack of sweetness on my tongue will push me to seek out the sweetness of God instead - His grace, kindness and mercy.
Dear readers, do you observe Lent? If so, what are you "giving up" this season?
P.S. Would you please take a moment and vote for our blog? We'd love to be on the first page again! Thank you!




It's ok kara. Diet Coke doesn't actually have sugar in it! ;)
ReplyDeletei'm giving up sugar too and i'm already hating it! It's only been a few hours but man, I think I may have a sugar addiction!
Ha! It has fake sugar in it- even worse!
ReplyDeleteThis year I decided to start 'Lent' in January. My roommate and two other friends joined me in giving up gluten and sugar through the end of Lent.
ReplyDeleteThe first few days felt great! Then by day 3 the headaches started. I strangely felt as though I had depression and extreme fatigue. I sought wise counsel and learned these were common symptoms of sugar withdrawal. Great. I was used to having 2 desserts a day and sugar in my coffee. The change from that to not allowing ANYTHING with sugar in (not spaghetti sauce, not soups..NOTHING with sugar, or the like, in the ingredients list)... WOH.
When I stick to it I feel so good and now fruit looks and tastes SO much better than that ice cream offered at today's staff meeting. I felt like a prude eating an orange on either side of a large bowls of Cookies and Cream but I'm feeling good and people at work support my plan and it's encouraging others to better - that makes me feel good too.
I enjoyed a lovely Ash Wednesday service tonight. Happy Lent!
PS: Tylenol helps with the sugar withdrawal (as does a tiny bit of organic sugar/honey/Agave just once to help your body get over that "hump" if it gets bad) :)
LOVED your blog this week. I was raised (and still belong) in a church that observes Lent, and we're not supposed to tell what we have given up (or taken on, which is a new sacrificial way to look at it.)
ReplyDeleteI go on record, though, for saying that the end of a long cold winter is not the best time for the church to suggest we meditate on our sins ;)
AND, I will say that I share your addiction to sugar.
Love you girl, and love your blog.
Jane