I'm 33!
Today is my birthday!! So in honor of that here are 33 fun facts about me:
![]() |
| Technically I'm 32 years, 11 months and 29 days in this picture... |
- I am an only child, but my girlfriends make me feel like I have real sisters.
- I met Matt on Match.com and wouldn't admit it for a year because online dating was taboo at the time.
- I'm a spirit-filled Christian, but I have a potty mouth.
- My first kiss was with a soccer player with one of those half-shaved head, half-ponytail hair-do's. I was 13 (he was too) and I remember he had food in his braces.
- I have never been a Seinfeld fan, not do I ever plan to be.
- I danced competitively from age 6 until high school.
- My bad habit is picking at the skin around my nails.
- I've dyed my hair brown, black, red and blonde - all in the span of 18 months.
- When I get really, really nervous, I sweat. It's totes gross.
- I've had 10 different jobs in the last 10 years.
- If I had to choose between food or coffee, coffee would win every time.
- I'm a news junkie.
- I have to work really hard to stay "thin". And I'm not really thin. I watch every. single. calorie. to not be 200 pounds.
- I took a wine sommelier course and still can't taste "black currants" or "oak" or whatever the heck the bottle says I should taste. It just tastes like wine to me.
- I wish I was real life friends with Tina Fey.
- I believe in salvation through faith, not works. But I also know that what you do with what you know matters.
- I am not a good road trip companion.
- I am prone to adult temper tantrums; but only in front of my husband and parents.
- I could watch "The Holiday" and "Love Actually" every single day.
- I don't understand the appeal of Bruce Springsteen. And it's not a Jersey thing either cause I totally dig Jon Bon Jovi.
- I love my cat and dog the way people love their children.
- I want another tattoo.
- Passive aggressiveness, blatant disrespect and the misuse of may vs. might are my 3 pet peeves.
- Writing is like therapy. It's my passion and the reason that I am a somewhat well-adjusted adult.
- I dream about living just steps from the ocean. The beach is my happy place.
- I have been off birth control since I was 28 - that is five years of zero prevention and still no baby in my uterus. Infertility is stupid.
- If I could do any job in the world, I'd be a book editor.
- I'm really proud of my hair.
- Post-apocalyptic movies give me nightmares (like I Am Legend, A.I. and Children of Men).
- I have an unfinished novel in my file cabinet.
- My husband is my better half.
- I don't believe that everything happens for a reason, but I do believe that God can use anything for His glory.
- I actually love my thirties!
How about a vote for my birthday present? Click the brown button in the upper right hand corner of the blog, and again on the owl on the left in the new screen. Thank you!

Happy Birthday! You share it with the most important person in my life, my son. He is one. Wonder if 33 will be as good for him as it is for you.
ReplyDeleteI love #s 3, 13 and 18...and YOU! Happy Birthday!
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday! I'm also very proud of my hair. It's my favorite feature. Also, I am inspired by your love for God, your husband, and your future child.
ReplyDeleteHappy birthday!!
ReplyDeleteI fear the same with infertility, but have yet to look into it since we're not super trying yet. And don't we all have temper tantrums now and then? Ha, that's what families and fellas are good for, they get to see the good, bad, and the ugly. And I feel ya on writing for therapy. Sometimes it's the only way I can put things down and move forward. Unwritten thoughts can be pesky brain passengers. And now that I probably wrote too much, another happy birthday to you! Hope this year brings all sorts of wonderful things into your life.
ReplyDelete-Sara-
Happy Birthday! I'm exiting my 33rd year..it was a good one and I hope yours will be too! Many blessings! Kelley
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday Kara!
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday!
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday Kara! We have similiar struggles...and I'm staring 35 down. But, we both worship an amazing God who is using our stories to reflect His Glory. Doesn't make it easy, just worth it. :) Praying that this year will be THE year!
ReplyDeleteHappy birthday!! I agree with you on so many of these, except number 20...I LOVE me some Bruce Springsteen!
ReplyDeletex
You should tell more about #10! And I totally will join you for a daily viewing of Love Actually. Best Movie Ever!!
ReplyDeleteLove this! Happy Birthday!! October is a great month to be born! (Mine was the 21st). Also could have written a hand full of these myself especially the been off bc for over 5 years...Infertility is Stupid but I am praying big time that your sweet baby WILL be here b4 your next birthday comes around. :)
ReplyDeleteHappy birthday!! I met my hubby online, his parents still don't believe it and we've been married 7 years
ReplyDeleteHappy birthday! ps. I want another tattoo as well ;)
ReplyDeleteThanks Kara, I just learned the difference between may and might!!! :)
ReplyDeleteHappy birthday, lady!
ReplyDeleteI've been silent following your blog for a month or so, and I tried to comment once or twice, but my computer slowed or some other such nonsense.
So here I am.
Thank you for being so open and honest about your experience with adoption. I, like so many others, am so heartbroken for you as you mourn the loss of that little boy, of him as your son, of the live you had planned. I have no gauge for what your pain must be.
I like your birthday facts list. A lot of what you've said about faith resonates with me. Especially number 32.
I am not a Christian, not now, but was raised very evangelically, borderline fundy, as they say (do they?), and this idea that God pre-plans every single thing, and even knows every single thing in advance, and allows it wholeheartedly, has been a very difficult pill for me to swallo. Only in the past 4 years have I been able to look at other examples of belief in God (like the "open view" of God), and feel somewhat peaceful in my soul. I feel like I am fighting for a minimal belief in God, right now, and not even necessarily a God that is personal. But, of course, it's what I want.
Feeling as though you, or some other unfortunate soul, is hand-picked for a specific heartache, oftentimes an unspeakably unjust heartache - as we can see throughout the history of mankind, is really the epitome of the problem of pain. I'm trying to work my way around it.
Anyhow, I apologize for rambling, I just wanted to go ahead and come out.
Thanks for your blog, your honesty, your hope.