Courage

Thursday, October 27, 2011

People keep asking how we are doing.
After the first week, I felt... mostly normal. Sad, a little angry, but peaceful for the most part. I attributed it to the amount of prayers being said on our behalf - like I wrote here, I felt protected by so many.

And this past weekend, I admitted to two different sets of friends that although I am still sad, and don't understand why this happened to us, I was surprised that I wasn't bitter.

I expected to be bitter if the adoption failed. In fact, I told Matt the week before the baby was born that if this didn't work out, I knew my faith would suffer - I knew I would be angry and bitter at God. Given the four years of struggle to become parents, I also knew I would truly question the foundation of my faith if it didn't work out.

And it failed and I was so hurt. But I didn't question the foundation of my faith the way I thought I would. I didn't experience bitterness the way I thought I would. I had moments of being truly heartbroken, feeling alone and angry, but there were also moments where I felt fine, hopeful even. 

I hadn't spent a lot of time with God in the last few weeks because I didn't know what to say, or do, but I didn't feel that ache of a hardened heart as I thought about my relationship with Him.

However, the minute I walked into church on Sunday morning, that all changed. The congregation was singing, people were smiling and I immediately wanted to turn around and run out of the building. Instantly, my eyes welled with tears, my heart started to race, and I heard hateful, awful things fly through my head. 

The entire service I didn't want to listen, I didn't want to sing, I just wanted to leave.  Finally the service ended. I hugged my friends, made small talk. On the ride home, I admitted to Matt that I couldn't worship or listen. It hurt too much. Matt squeezed my hand and said, "That's OK, baby. God understands."

Obviously, I am in denial. All that thinking I wasn't bitter, all that feeling fine, was just pure avoidance of the situation.

I don't know how to "deal" with this exactly. I know I need to face this, but I'm afraid and tired.  I beat myself up all Sunday afternoon for not dealing with my grief, for feeling bitterness towards God when I had just admitted to friends that I didn't feel it.

But then, as I was catching up on my blog reading (and avoiding thinking about all this emotional junk) I ran across this amazing quote on my friend Audrey's blog:


“Courage, it would seem, is nothing less than the power to overcome danger, misfortune, fear, injustice, while continuing to affirm inwardly that life with all its sorrows is good; that everything is meaningful even if in a sense beyond our understanding; and that there is always tomorrow.”
- Dorothy Thompson

I read it again and again and my heart quieted a little. I talked about my grief with friends on Tuesday night, and a teammate on Wednesday, and my parents last night. There is no manual for this, no map, no right or wrong. I need to remember that "blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted". I need to cling to the fact that I will not always feel like this.

I need to cling to the idea that life with all its sorrows is still good. God please give me some courage.

6 comments:

  1. I recently found your blog, and was happy to, as we are saving for an adoption, right now. I have not gone through your heartache, but I wanted you to know that I feel for you. I just finished reading a book, that put so much more joy for the Lord in my heart and so much comfort, it made me cry at times. I hope this passage helps you, as much as it has helped me.

    "And I imagine him. I imagine him listening. I picture his eyes misting and a pierced hand brushing away a tear. And although he may offer no answer, although he may solve no dilemma, although the question may freeze painfully in midair; he who also was once alone, understands."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kara,
    I found a link to your blog on the Dear Baby blog. As I was reading your post and several of the previous ones, I had tears in my eyes for you. I'm an adoptive mom to a two and a half year old daughter, who came to us after a failed adoption and 4 years of infertility/adoption challenges. We had been working with a birth mother for a few months and had a name picked out and all, and she changed her mind a week before her due date. Unfortunately that poor little girl is now a ward of the state and I still pray for her every day. Her life will probably be very hard.
    When our adoption failed I did all sorts of things. I cried alot for us and for that little baby who wasn't going to have a mommy at least not for a while. I hugged my family alot, drank A LOT of wine, went to NYC with my husband and we spent a ton of money we didn't have and drank A LOT of wine there and acted like kids. A couple weeks later we took all the baby girl stuff back to Babys-R-Us. This was really tough, so afterwards we went to the beach for a long, long walk. While we were walking we decided that we were done grieving, we had made it through alive and we'll be ok. We’re not overly religious, but somehow on that day we decided we had to have faith in the order of the universe. It was a very profound conversation, I’ll never forget it. We found a tiny shell on the beach. I put it in my pocket and decided that it represented the baby who was meant to be ours, whenever that may happen. The very next morning, on St.Patrick's day, we got a call that a baby girl had been born and were we interested. I didn't believe it, thought nothing of it and didn't let my mind even go there after the roller coaster from the last few weeks. But a few days later it became a reality and we packed up and went to meet our baby girl. It was the most surreal experience ever, going from the depths of depression to the height of joy. I kept thinking about the phrase "The darkest time of night is just before the dawn." I kept saying that over and over again as I held her for the first time. You seem to have a very strong faith, and writing this blog hopefully helps you heal with each difficult post you write. I hope it does, and I hope and pray for you that soon I’ll be reading about the adoption that did work out for you, the baby who was and is meant to be yours. I hope this is your darkest time before your dawn. Cheers, Laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so sorry I never replied to this comment. Your story was so touching and encouraging! Thank you so much.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for sharing so honestly about what you're experiencing. Praying that God gives you the courage and strength you need today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,
    I just found your blog via followers fest. I am now following you!
    I am sorry that this failed... I haven't been in this position, but I do have a little one and this breaks my heart for you because any mama who wants a baby and struggles in having one, in any way breaks my heart. Prayers for you and your family! Bitterness is so hard... oh goodness...I've been there...I think I'm even there now and its hard. What I've had to do is admit my bitterness to God... that I am not happy with what is going on and a little mad at him because of it even. Your husband is right...God does understand! Saying a prayer right now! =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just saw this. I'm so glad I could help in some way. It is hard to know what to say. I remember feeling this. Plain FURIOUS about being at church, for no reason. God does understand.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting!!

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground