In honor of the October Followers Fest
Hosted by Casey, Illy, Danielle and my sweet friend Jess, I am posting my favorite fall soup recipe:
Butternut Squash and White Bean Soup with Parmesan Biscuits
Ingredients for Soup
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium sweet onion, chopped
1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
1 small butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (4 cups)
1 tablespoon fresh thyme (you can use dried as well, I just use more)
sea salt and black pepper
2 15-ounce cans great northern beans, rinsed
1 bunch spinach, thick stems removed (about 3 cups)Peel and slice your butternut squash
I use a veggie peeler to get the thick skin off, then cut the squash in half, and half again, etc etc until I get pieces that are big bite sized. Be sure to scoop out the meat/seeds well.
Once sliced, set aside.
Chop up your onion.
Heat the oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring often, until it's soft (5 minutes or so).
Add the tomatoes and their juices and cook 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Stir in the chopped up squash, thyme, 5 cups of water, 1 ½ teaspoons salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper and bring to a boil.
Here is a tip, pour 2 cups of your water into the tomato can, then pour it into the soup (it grabs all the extra tomato juice in the can!)
Reduce the heat and simmer until the squash is tender, about 15 minutes.
While it's simmering, chop up your spinach and drain and rinse your white beans.
After the soup has simmered, stir in the beans and spinach and cook until the spinach is wilted and the beans are heated through - about 2 to 3 minutes.
Optional: Parmesan Biscuits
1 can biscuits
Parmesan cheese
place biscuits on baking sheet (also pre heat oven according to package directions) and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese
Once soup and biscuits are done, serve and enjoy! This recipe will serve six-eight people.
Tomorrow I'll be posting our fall decorations around the house! Happy Friday!



oh i'm soooooooo trying this! yum!
ReplyDeleteI love your tutorial with pics on how to cut a butternut squash! It's always a challenge for me...I think I try a new way each time :)
ReplyDeleteStopping by from October Followers Fest!
That looks so good! I may have to try this! Oh and I love the pictures in your header with the babydoll...so cute! New follower from FF
ReplyDeleteFound you on Followers Fest.
ReplyDeleteFirst, I LOVE the pic of y'all at the top. Amazing.
Second, we are members of a produce share and this month we have received so much squash that I didn't know what to do with. So glad to have a recipe for it all now!
Third, (and most important) we are adopting as well. I saw on your adoption info that you're back on the waiting list. I can relate! I fell absolutely in love with a little girl (in Ghana) and we were about to accept a referral when we found out the government had decided she was too old for our age bracket. (She was seven... we're limited to age 6 and under.) I feel your heart ache. I'm following you to keep up with your journey!
-Mary Susan
maemcconnell.blogspot.com
Wow, this looks amazing! And what great photos. I'm a new follower from the Follower Fest.
ReplyDeleteI am interested to read more about your adoption stories. My husband and I have two children already but are excited about the opportunity to adopt in the future. I'm so glad I came across your blog!
Hmmmm yummy, think I will give this a go.
ReplyDeleteOh my word....that looks delicious! :) Thanks for sharing it...I will definitely be trying this!
ReplyDeleteLoving your blog..now following!
http://elizabeththomasblog.blogspot.com/
loving your blog, too! Can't wait to read about your adoption - we're adopting from Uganda. :)
ReplyDelete