I know this week’s posts have been mostly about our loss, but given what we have been through, I want to share my heart with you. I promise to return to the regularly scheduled programming soon!
"Pain is our mother. She makes us recognize each other." – Over the Rhine
This quote has been said and written to me many a time by my wise and wonderful friend Jessie. I didn’t understand it at first.
But I do now.
Every single one of has experienced some sort of loss. Every single one of us has experienced grief due to that loss. And in that pain we see one another clearly. We see a person in need, a broken, bleeding heart, a mind confused by fear and pain. We see ourselves in that person because we know what it is like to feel sad and lost and hopeless.
All of you have recognized me and Matt in this season. You see our heartache clearly because you have seen heartache in yourself.
A few nights ago, as I was sharing my heart with a few girlfriends, one of them asked me, “What if you get a call for another baby soon?”
And I replied, "Honestly, I have not even thought of it. I don’t know if I can hope like that yet."
Given it’s been less than two weeks since this has happened, and because I am in the thick of processing it (and healing from it), I can’t even fathom another baby, another birthmother, another set of worries and constant anxiety, and forms and money, and what if’s. I can't process the potential that another failed adoption could happen.
Like I have said before, adoption is messy. It’s a battle that has temporarily injured us. For the last 10 days I have had a picture in my mind that Matt and I are laying on the battlefield, both our hearts bleeding out, unable to fight, unable to see beyond our pain.
And in that picture, all of you – my friends, my family, my co-workers, my readers, random people across the world – have been standing on the battlefield guarding and protecting us, forming a barrier against what has attacked us in this season, and you’re fighting on our behalf in a time when we are too weak to fight for ourselves. You are hoping for us, where we cannot.
It is a picture I have carried with me for days.
The point I am trying to make is that we are all in this together.
Life is so messy, and hard, and at times seemingly unfair. We need each other in these moments. We need the support and the encouragement and the kindness and the grace from others so we can make it through the next 15 minutes.
We all need to go to battle for one another. You all have battled for us. You have protected us with your comments, your prayers, your tears and your sweet and kind words of encouragement and hope.
I feel like I am drowning in love and it’s so. darn. good. I can’t wait to return the kindness and grace to you.
Until then, please know that you have blessed me and changed me in ways words cannot justify. It’s goodness. It’s grace. It’s true community.
I love you all.
Kara, you and Matt have been constantly on my mind and in my prayers this past week. I am so glad you feel some measure of comfort and peace knowing that so many people are fighting for you right now. I hope you don't feel any pressure to 'return to regularly scheduled programming' soon. No one should expect you to act like your world hasn't changed. You are experiencing a unique loss that few will ever have to experience personally- you have every right to act accordingly. Thanks for sharing your heart and your honesty with all of us.
ReplyDeleteNear and far there are people who think, care and pray for you. There are ones who love you from a distance with no words communicated between the two of you. You and Matt are so precious. I am so touched by your words of encouragement. Not sure if they are words to heal you or if you realize that they heal those who read them. Thank you for writing and don't stop the process before God is ready. He will guide and hold you. He will be on the forefront of the battle that you are fighting never leaving your side. Praying and will continue to pray.
ReplyDeleteLook we're on lunch breaks together:) I love that image of the barrier of people protecting you and know that that is what God intended for us to all be for each other:) LOve you
ReplyDeleteKara we are still thinking about you and Matt. loved what you wrote!!
ReplyDeleteBeen thinking about you lots and am so glad that there are so many people standing with you during this! You are not alone and Im so glad you see that. I am praying so much for healing for you and that your heart can feel that sense of hope, love, desire and excitement again soon! Hang in there as best as you can sweet girl!
ReplyDeleteKara, I mentioned in an earlier post to you this week that I just found your blog this very week. I truly believe God led me here so there would be one more person praying for you. Since then, you and your husband have been in my prayers.Please dont give a moment's conern if your blog posts have been to much about your loss. I think you have done an amazing job. You obviously have great strength. I would think that the bloggin in some way is helpful, it gets all those thoughts and emotions out. I know no words right now can fix any of this. Obviously you have friends and family that love you. And they, along with random strangers like me are stading on that battlefield with you like you said! And we will continue to do so. I have the hope in my heart for you...and I know you will have that again one day. TH from NC.
ReplyDeleteOh beautiful Kara ~ so much love for you, and so much pain for you! I am so proud of how you are allowing the rest of us to openly share in your grief. I truly believe that that kind of transparency is what allows the fullness of God's grace to flow to and through each of us. And, I know that his grace is carrying and will continue to carry you through the healing process honey. You truly are an inspiration to many, more than you may ever know.
ReplyDeleteThank you sweetheart and know that this Texas momma thinks of you, prays for you and loves you very much!
I've been following your blog for a while. I cannot imagine the pain and loss you are feeling. I am so very sad for you and will continue to pray for healing and for God's will in your life.
ReplyDeleteHi- my brother (Daniel Griffin) sent me to your site. We have adopted 2 of our 6 children. It was a process. It still is. It is messy and beautiful all at the same time. It will also rock your world and be the best thing you have ever done :)Prayers for your family.
ReplyDeleteOh Kara...I haven't been here in a while and didn't know this had happened. I am so, so sorry. I love what you've written here. It is so right and true, and so eloquently put.
ReplyDeleteJohn Stott died recently, and when he wrote his last book (which he himself acknowledged would be his last book) he wrote something about the silliness of people who say "I don't want to be a burden..."
We were meant to be burdens, he says. At some time in our lives, we will all be the burden. At other times, we will carry it. To always forsake the being of the burden for the carrying is to limit the human experience.
I'm so glad you're allowing yourself to be the burden now.
xx
We too are bleeding along with you. So sorry for your loss. We'll be praying for you and Matt. In the midst of disappointment and anger "Ugh" is about all I can come up with. We're so hurt for you both.
ReplyDelete