Did I ever tell you about the time we were robbed?
When we bought our little home in the spring of 2007, we knew what the neighborhood was like. It was on the edge of a gentrified area of town, but the remodeling had not yet begun on our street. We were the first to buy in that working-class neighborhood, full of single moms and elderly couples.
![]() |
| The casa via 2007 (the yard looks a lot better now!) |
We called the police and filed a report. We started to research alarm systems. We went to bed that night, shaken. We prayed for our safety. We called our insurance agent so we could recover what was lost.
Two Fridays after that, we were robbed again.
This time they smashed in a window, pulled it out of the frame and came in through our office. They took Matt's laptop and all our DVDs. It seemed to be the same person from the first time because they took a second bag from the same spot to carry the items they took from us.
We were stunned. We knew it could happen once. But twice? It seemed unfathomable.
The police were unkind and cold this time, warning us to get out of our neighborhood while we could. We went to bed that night afraid and angry. Strangely, I felt compelled to pray for the person who had robbed us. I prayed he would be convicted of his crimes and stop hurting others. I prayed he would be get caught and that justice would prevail. And lastly I prayed for his soul, that he would turn to God and change his life.
We put our house on the market after that. I was afraid to leave the house, afraid of what else this person would do to us. I was sure that he was casing our house, waiting for us to leave. I lived in fear for a month.
Then one afternoon, as we were grocery shopping, a detective called us. She said she had an extraordinary story to tell us:
A few weeks prior, a police officer was driving down the street when he saw a man limping along with blood on his clothes. The officer stopped and asked if he could help, to which the man replied that he might as well take him to jail. The officer asked him why, and the bleeding, limping man admitted that he had just robbed a house and hurt himself as he was fleeing the scene.
As the officer handcuffed him and sat him in the squad car, the man admitted that he had robbed many houses that summer, almost 40 to be exact.
The detective then told us that this man had robbed our home. Twice.
We asked how she knew that, and she said, "He admitted it. He told us he wrote you a letter of apology and gave it to a friend to deliver to your home, but the friend chickened out."
She then told us that in order for the police to figure out which homes the man had robbed (it's not like the guy kept an excel spreadsheet of the addresses and items he took), they drove him around in a cop car to the areas of town he had stolen from. As they went from house to house, he identified the ones he had broken into, what items, if he could remember, he had taken.
The detective told us that when they got to our street, the man pointed at our home and said, "I stole from that lady. I took that lady's jewelry and computer. I stole from her twice. She is selling her house. It's probably because of me." The officer who was writing the report noted that he showed great remorse as he talked about our home and "that lady."
In the report, as he went from house to house and described what he had taken, he never mentioned the people he affected. But when he got to our home, he mentioned me.
I am the only person he referred to in the entire report. We are the only ones he wrote a letter of apology to. I don't think that my prayers and his actions were sheer coincidence. I believe that was God's divine work. We saw justice and grace come to life.
The man went to jail for a long time, and the detective told us that in all her years working on robberies she had never seen a person turn themselves in, or admit that they were sorry for their crimes. We never saw that apology letter, but regardless, we took our house off the market, started to trust our new security system and had hope for our little transitional neighborhood again.
The point of this story: sometimes out of the muck and mire of our lives, something extraordinary happens. Or as my late grandmother Ginny once said, "God can turn chicken crap into chicken salad."
Happy Weekend!
How about a vote if you love the blog? Click the brown button in the upper right hand corner of the blog, then the owl on the left in the new screen. Thank you!

Amazing story, thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteLove this story! And your grandmother's quote! =)
ReplyDeleteWow, love this story. My parents are divorced and so growing up it was just my mom and me (don't worry I saw my dad each week). One house was broken into once and then we moved and that house was broken into twice, 4 years apart. It was heartbreaking and scary. I'm so glad your story had a happier ending. Thank you for sharing!
ReplyDeleteThis is a really inspiring story! We have been robbed a few times in our old house and we too put the house on the market, but then decided not to sell because I didn't want to let the thieves beat us. We never found out who committed the crimes that affected us but needless to say I hope they are remorseful!
ReplyDeleteAmazing, I had tears in my eyes by the end! It is insane how God answers prayers when our hearts are in the right place. Thanks so much for sharing!
ReplyDeleteGreat story! Glad that things took a positive turn in the end!
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful story. My husband is a firefighter, so even third day and night I am home by myself. We have an alarm system and a big dog, but I'm always still nervous. Recently our alarm went off in the middle of the night..it was terrifying. There didn't seem to be any signs of someone trying to enter, but I still lost sleep for days. I've prayed for God to protect me, but have never thought to pray for those who might harm me, my family, or my home. You have an amazing heart.
ReplyDeleteAnd love the "Chicken crap into chicken salad" statement. Sounds like something one of my grandmas might say.
i love the saying! how clever.
ReplyDeleteThat is absolutely incredible just an incredible story ................
ReplyDeleteJust stumbled on your blog from over at Dear Baby, and what a glorious story to just "stumble upon". Thank you for sharing one more example of how God knows our hearts. I will be a regular for sure...
ReplyDeleteThanks!
aaah! kara! i've never heard this story!!! this is AMAZING!
ReplyDeletethis is so great.
ReplyDeleteI love reading your stories kara!!
now im hungry for chicken salad... and a glass of lemonade perhaps?! :)
love this story!
ReplyDeleteI just found your blog and I LOVE this story! It is amazing what prayer can do and it's so great that you were obedient to pray for him, even after what he had done to you guys. Thanks so much for sharing this!
ReplyDeleteWow. Just wow.
ReplyDeleteI think about you everyday, EVERYDAY! After reading your story yesterday i thought about Jesus, God & the power of prayer, and how I moan non-stop about stuff but never stop to think about what i am actually saying or praying about...you have succeeded in spinning my negative thoughts into positive thoughts regardless of how angry i am, or how upset i am. Thank you! You are awesome...much love & God Bless.
ReplyDeleteThank goodness your were safe, and I do believe the police officer was right about never seeing that before. I'm glad you stuck to your cute adorable home! Your grandmother was very on point with her saying!!
ReplyDelete-Jessica
http://hopefullittleone.blogspot.com/
What a great story. That is my nightmare, but your faithfulness to God no doubt changed things!!
ReplyDelete