Our Failed Adoption

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

I'm sure you are curious about our failed adoption, and I finally feel up to telling the story. I've omitted some details in the spirit of privacy and protection for the woman who we thought would place her baby with us, and for her son. Please note that what happened to us is the exception, not the rule, in domestic adoption. I do not write this story to dissuade you from adopting, but instead to shed light on our experience and our heartbreak.

This post is quite long, so apologies in advance. Also, the term "failed" adoption is adoption lingo, we also refer to it as a displaced adoption.


Background
We were matched with a potential birth mother in late June (let's call her "Tammy"). Her situation was that she was unable to support a child at the time. She was a former paramedic and nurse, who had struggled with substance abuse for a very short amount of time. She completed a rehabilitation program the year prior and was very proud of her sobriety. She had struggled to find work since that time and had become pregnant by an ex-boyfriend, who did not want the child, nor did he want to support it. "Tammy" presented herself as a woman who had experienced some hardships due to her mistakes, but wanted to do the right thing for the child, and for herself.

The agency was providing "Tammy" with some living expenses, including a temporary place to live and food/laundry money. They also signed her up for Medicaid so she could receive pre-natal care.

Match
During the three months we were matched with "Tammy", we received communications from her via email, and also by phone. The email exchanges went well at first - she sent us pictures of herself and the biological father, sonogram pictures, notes about how she was feeling and little details about her life so we could get to know her better. We worked directly with a wonderful social worker named Lara that was the go-between for us and "Tammy".

In early September, we purchased a pre-paid phone so she could call us directly (but not have access to our personal numbers) as Lara had sensed she wanted the freedom to talk to us directly instead of conference calls hosted by her. In those phone calls, we started to sense that "Tammy" had a lot of drama in her life - she didn't have a good relationship with her parents due to the pregnancy, her ex-boyfriend was trying to get back together with her, she had constant physical pain due to the pregnancy. She was trying to find a permanent place to live so she could get back on her feet after the baby was born and was increasingly frustrated with her situation. However, "Tammy" always ended the conversations with a positive spin, admitting that this situation will soon be over and she could move on with her life.

The Warning Signs
However, when we were closer to the due date, things began to change. "Tammy" became highly frustrated with Lara and would call or email claiming that Lara had not put money on her grocery card. When I would ask Lara about it, they assured me that they had deposited the weekly amount - when I went back to "Tammy", she would continue to complain and claim the agency was lying to us.

Then "Tammy" started to miss doctor's appointments. At first she said that she couldn't get to the doctor's office because she had no car, so the agency provided her with a bus pass. She continued to miss appointments, so Lara provided her with cab fare. Lara was also trying to help her find a permanent place to live; however "Tammy" continued to miss the appointments to view apartments or would tell the agency that she didn't have a way to get there although they had provided cabs for her at times.

The Beginning of the End
All of this came to a head - the constant complaints about not enough grocery money, the missed doctor's appointments, the missed opportunities to move into a permanent place - on Thursday, September 29. She called the pre-paid phone multiple times and left voice mails, then sent me two lengthy emails describing how she was being mistreated by the agency and Lara. She claimed they had not provided her what she was promised, that Lara hated her and had it out for her, that they were starving her to death by not providing her with enough money to eat, and that they had not helped her find a permanent place to live.

I didn't read/hear all the emails and voice mails until almost midnight. I emailed "Tammy" and let her know that I would call the agency the next day - at this point, I had been told by the agency to sympathize with her and let them be the "bad guy". I spoke with Lara the next morning and they told me how much money they had given her for groceries to date (more than enough).

I called "Tammy" on Friday morning and let her know that I had spoken with the agency to ensure that she was well taken care of, but never heard back. I emailed her again that weekend as well to check up on her, but she didn't email or call back.

On the morning of Monday, October 3rd, I emailed Lara to inquire if they had heard from "Tammy". Lara emailed me back immediately and said she hadn't yet - but the agency had received an invoice for a cab fare. "Tammy" had been driven from her hotel to a local hospital on Saturday night, but it showed no return fare.

Lara did some research, and called me an hour later to tell me that "Tammy" had delivered a little boy at 2:57 a.m. CST. "Tammy" had not called the agency to inform them of the birth - instead she emailed Lara Monday morning and asked them for more money for groceries, but totally omitted the fact that she had delivered the child.

Lara was informed by the hospital social worker that that "Tammy" had terminated her release rights - essentially blocking anyone from  the adoption agency from inquiring about her or the child from the hospital social worker. She informed the hospital that she had changed her mind and would not be placing the child with the adoptive family.

Lara then informed us that Child Protective Services (CPS) had been called by the hospital, but we didn't know why. She told me not to get my hopes up, but there could be a slight chance that CPS would intervene and not allow her to parent based on whatever the hospital had seen. If so, CPS would give "Tammy" a choice - either place the baby with adoptive parents, or the child would go into foster care. Lara told me she would call CPS and file a report as well - since "Tammy" was living on the agency's dime, they would cancel her hotel contract and also provide some details around her attempts to receive living expenses under fraudulent pretenses.

I immediately called Matt and told him the news. We wept together on the phone. I don't remember much of that day, except that I called my mother and cried, I called my best friend Crystal and cried, I called my boss and cried and just waited for news from the agency.

That evening, I emailed "Tammy". I wasn't sure if I should, or if I was even allowed to, but I felt compelled to write her. I told her that I knew she had delivered, and changed her mind, and how heartbroken we were. I asked her to please let me know what her reasons were.

Within 15 minutes "Tammy" emailed me back, telling me that Lara and the agency had mistreated her. She said that she, along with her family, the doctors, even her cab driver, planned to write a letter to the agency about the social worker's "poor, poor" service. She claimed again that she was starved, that they didn't help her the way they promised, that she was confused. She said the baby, who she already named, was 5 lbs 11 oz, 18 inches long, but was "a little sick". She ended the email by telling us that we were in no way part of the decision, that we were "perfect and great" but that we should probably use another agency in the future.

I emailed her again with more questions, begging her to reconsider, telling her that if Lara or agency was the issue, we could bypass them and use lawyers instead. I never heard back. I emailed her again on Tuesday. She never replied. We have not heard back from her to date.

It's Over
By Wednesday morning (the 5th), we found out that CPS had launched an investigation. Lara called the CPS agent again that afternoon and the agent told her that we should not worry because the baby was in a "safe place". We assumed that meant foster care, but we can't be sure. The agency informed us that the baby cannot be adopted. They closed our case and we went back on the wait list.

Then Lara told me that upon admittance to the hospital, "Tammy" was complaining of withdrawals from a specific drug. She did not have a prescription for that drug, which leads us to believe that her son being "a little sick" was due to her using that drug illegally. We now believe that she was asking for more money all the time so she could buy drugs. We also found out that she was never a licensed paramedic or nurse in the state of Missouri, as she had claimed. Lara and I discussed these details in disbelief and said our goodbyes.

My Final Thoughts
I have to state that in no way did the agency mistreat "Tammy". Lara went above and beyond for her, giving her everything she needed to thrive during her pregnancy and help her get back on her feet. I do not blame the agency or Lara for what happened.

I have thought long and hard about "Tammy", about her actions that affected us and that innocent child. I do not understand why this happened to us, but it is clear that "Tammy" is a compulsive liar, a master manipulator and a very troubled woman. While we are angry and hurt by her actions, we never truly expected her to behave like a rational, moral adult. She was a desperate person - and desperate people do desperate things.

My hope is that the baby, wherever he is, is safe and that his health is restored. We pray that he knows love in his life, and that his caretakers would treat him with kindness and grace, that he would feel protected and secure, and that he will grow up as a strong, moral and kind young man.

I hope you will pray for him too.

30 comments:

  1. That baby has come to mind many times and I have prayed for him every time. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing, Kara. As I read this, my tears welled up with empathy for you, your husband and that little boy. You're in my prayers and I know that the two of you will be blessed with your child soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely praying for that little boy. And his birth parents. And your next adoption opportunity.

    Thank you for sharing. I have wept with you on this journey. I know that God will redeem it for His glory. At the very least, there are many praying for this sweet boy. God will do big things.

    I have many friends that are social workers or work at adoption agencies. And it is tough because your story is NOT the norm, but yet it does happen. A woman who may never actually intend to place her baby spins amazing believable lies to support an awful deadly addiction.
    I feel absolutely awful for Lara. What a difficult job, and it makes you wonder how adoption agency employees work there at all. But most experiences are good ones. There may be bumps along the road but there is a beautiful union of forever families that somehow make it all worth it.
    And this is what is coming for you~ the perfect child that God has picked to be yours. A beautifully weaved story that will change lives forever. Your sweet time is coming very soon, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My heart breaks for everyone involved, but mostly for this little boy. I pray that he truly is in a safe place.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will pray for that sweet, innocent boy. I also pray for the both of you. I pray you are blessed with a healthy bundle of joy, as you so both deserve. Merry Christmas you two!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I still pray for this baby boy. And I will pray for Tammy. But mostly I pray for your sweet hearts as you heal and move forward-- we're in it together, girl.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have literally though about this almost every day. Thanks for sharing with us, and happy holidays!

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  9. You will be so glad you wrote this out. Not that you will EVER forget. I will continue to pray for him....and both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you very much for sharing this Kara. You are very strong and this will probably shape you as a person and for your next experience. You will my a mother one day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh, many hugs to you and prayers are lifted up. so very sorry for your disappointment. devastating. so thankful you shared.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so very sorry. I can feel your heart breaking through your words. I pray for peace for your hearts, for love for this little boy and that "Tammy" chooses to right this wrong by living her life differently in the future. But mostly, my heart breaks for you and your husband. I hope that you have good things coming your way on the horizon. I know what it's like to think year after year that THIS has got to be it! THE ONE where I can put all this heartache to rest and start anew. I really hope this is it for you, I really, really do.
    my blog:
    http://funnylittlepollywogs.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for telling us the whole story, Kara. I pray that you and Matt's hearts are continuing to heal from such a traumatic experience, and eagerly await the day you become forever parents.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This story involves so many details, as I'm sure it was painful for you to retell. It is so inspiring knowing that you and Matt are going to provide a baby with such a loving and supportive home and when the time comes, you two will be so prepared! This speed bump on the highway of life is only going to make your final destination that much more magical and special!! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you to everyone for your sweet notes and prayers for that sweet baby!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That story is heart wrenching. I realize giving a child up for adoption would be so so difficult and take a lot of strength, but to know someone could fool with others dying just as difficult a time is mean! It does sound as though Tammy has a lot off issues and likely didn't go out and do this on purpose (Id like to think this) but its still so sad and hurtful; for you and that baby boy!
    I hope beyond hope that you get your next match and that child brings more joy to you than you can even imagine! Xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Reading your initial posts and this one makes my heart hurt, but I know you are not alone on this journey. Prayers for you both!

    ReplyDelete
  18. oh kara, i am so sorry. that poor little baby. i'll pray too that he is safe and healthy. it's terrible to think that these kind of people are out there, hurting so many others along their way.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  19. There have been so many times I wanted to write to you about all of this, but it was like I had a wound that was still too fresh and painful. You don't know me (that sounds super creepy, sorry)... I just randomly came upon your blog after randomly finding someone else's blog that spoke so sweetly of you. I was recovering from surgery one weekend and sat in bed reading your story from the very beginning to current events. I had just had a hysterectomy due to cancer. I am a divorced, 34 year old and while I have been pregnant, all turned into miscarriages. Reading about how you maintained your relationship with God was such a blessing, as I was determined to not blame cancer on Him, but instead try to find glory, peace, and faith in my trial. When I read you were placed for Baby M, I rejoiced and thanked God for giving you your hearts desire. When you wrote that he would not be going home with you, I cried, and not a pretty cry either, it was a full blown ugly cry. Two days prior to that my cousin's gf gave birth to a baby that was so handsome to them, they terminated the adoption process that they had started. I wanted to hit them (God's still working on me)and instead I called them selfish and ignorant and some really not very nice things. Reading this now, I totally want to throat punch "Tammy" but that isn't really "Christian-like" (although Jesus didn't put up with crap either!)Anyways, I just wanted you to know that you, your husband, your children and grandchildren are in my prayers. I pray that God saturates you and Matt with His peace. I pray that this is the last Christmas of "the two of us" and that next Christmas brings the sweet pitter-patter of feet. I pray for your hearts to be healed from this pain and for Tammy to come to know God's love so that she can give that child and herself, a chance. Merry Christmas!
    ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  20. Aw Kara, I don't even know what to say or write. I'm so sorry for all of this. I'm sure everything will turn out for the best... for you and matt... for your future baby, and for "tammy's" baby.
    <3 <3

    my love goes out to you.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Whizbam - I am so sorry to hear about your cancer and your loss. What a trial you have been through but your attitude is amazing! Thank you for your sweet words - they really blessed me. Also the "throat punch" comment made me laugh pretty hard!

    Merry Christmas to you. God Bless and lots of hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I will be praying for the baby for a long time!

    Thank you for sharing this story.

    When I read that the adoption failed I thought it was the classic story of the mother keeping the baby. The one where she gives birth and as the child is laying on her chest she realizes she wants to keep it. Not be a lair.

    I pray that you will be blessed with a beautiful baby in 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you so much for sharing your story. I can't even imagine how difficult it was to write it all out, much less live through it. Y'all continue to be in my prayers. May 2012 be better than your wildest dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you so much for sharing this. I have whispered so many prayers for all 3 of you. There are so many blessings coming your way, God surely has a plan. And that little baby boy, I hope the same for him. You are such a strong and brave woman!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you so much for sharing this, Kara. My heart still breaks for you and Matt and that little baby, and I'm so sad to hear that the circumstances around your failed adoption were these. I am so sad for your loss, and I am so sad that this precious baby is probably in foster care instead of with his mother or a loving adoptive family. I will continue to pray for healing for both you and Matt, that above all else, you will know God's comfort and peace despite this situation. And more than anything, I pray that this baby is safe and loved, and I pray that he will find a permanent home with an amazing family very soon, whoever they may be. I pray that even now, God is preparing his parents' hearts for him.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow. As a former social worker, this story sounds all too familiar. I mean, the dysfunction and the sadness of an innocent child being caught up in the middle of this troubled woman's drama. I hope the baby boy is alright and being loved by someone unconditionally.

    I am so sorry you had to go through this. I don't know you, but have been reading your blog and am so excited for you that you are expecting a baby! I hope you find much joy and happiness. You seem to have so much to give a baby. Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I suffered a failed adoption after having the baby with us for 3 weeks. It was/is terrible. It is horrible not knowing where she is, and what will become of her life. I finally started writing about it. I am processing what happened to us, hoping to meet others online, and hope I can help someone out there too. I don't know if I can go through another adoption attempt yet.
    Anyway, if you want to read my story--I only started my blog a few days ago--the address is www.abortedadoption.blogspot.com
    Congrats on your pregnancy.
    All the best,
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  28. I followed this link after catching up on one of your recent blog posts, firstly a huge congratulations on your pregnancy, I am so happy for the both of you & this sweet little baby is going to be loved so so much. I am very sorry however to read the story of your failed adoption, I will keep this little boy in my prayers and my heart really does go out to you & your family x

    ReplyDelete
  29. So sorry to hear that, my husband just went through a VERY similar case. We acually brought our baby girl home and loved her for 6 wonderful weeks. We discovered the birthmother was just using us and the system for $. We are only a week out from returning our sweet angel . I pray for her everyday. We now begin healing and saving for our future hopes of adopting again

    ReplyDelete
  30. So grateful to find this blog. We just had to return our beautiful baby girl after having her for 6 weeks. The pain is unbearable. We were deceived and manipulated by her birthmother. We now take one day at a time and try to heal. We're hoping to save and regain the thousands we spent on her to fulfill our dream of adopting again.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting!!

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground