Dinnertime: "Mexican" Chicken

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Y'all I cannot even explain how hilarious this recipe title is to me. This comes from a Southern cookbook called "Carolina Sunshine" that my aunt gave me when Matt and I got married over seven years ago. The cookbook is chock full of purely southern recipes, but it also has casseroles like this in the book - I guess this recipe is what a traditional Southern woman calls "Mexican". Ha!

I'll call it "The most unhealthy and tasty chicken casserole ever!"

Ingredients
2 1/2 - 3 pounds chicken, cooked
1 cup skim milk
1 can cream of chicken soup (condensed)
1 can Rotel (tomatoes and chilies)
1 4 oz can chopped  chilies
1/2 large bag Doritos (regular kind)
1 1/2 cups shredded cheese


Pre-heat your oven to 350. Chop up your chicken, set aside. Drain your chilies and drain about 1/2 the juice from the Rotel. In a large mixing bowl, combine the milk, soup, chilies and Rotel. Stir well.

In a 9 x 13 baking dish, spray with cooking spray, then cover the bottom in Doritos. Using the palm of your hand (wash your hands ladies!), crush the chips so it makes a thick layer.

Put the chicken on top.

Then pour the soup mixture till everything is covered.

Top with your cheese and bake 30 minutes. You can add a few extra Doritos when you dish it out. Yum!

Enjoy! Serves 4.

5 comments:

  1. Yummy! And so easy! (My kinda recipe!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Umm that looks delicious, especially the Doritos, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG my mother in law just got SOOOOO busted! She coined this here "dorito chicken" as her own and spoiled her son with it his whole life! He thinks she made it up! Now I make it all the time and it is sooooo goood! I can't wait to spill the beans!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is a perfect preggo dinner recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting!!

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground