I'm seeking some technical advice here about this blog.
1) I am tired of Blogger. I don't like the layout, nor the wonky HTML issues. I'd like to switch to Wordpress, but am not sure how (yes there are tutorials online but they scare me). Have any of you made the jump from Blogger to Wordpress? If so, what was your experience like? Any regrets?
2) Also, my Picasa web albums are totally full and I keep getting an error message that I can't upload any more pictures to my blog unless I purchase more space. So should I go ahead and purchase more space or wait until I move over to Wordpress? Does anyone know who hosts photos for that platform? I've done some searches online but it's not leading me to a definitive answer.
Your help / thoughts / ideas are much appreciated!
Love,
Kara
I did the backwards switch and went from Wordpress to Blogger. I'd imagine it's similar, though I think your layout will obviously be lost in the transfer. Your posts should go smoothly.
ReplyDeleteI've heard either WordPress or tumblr are good. Unfortunately, I don't know much about either. :/ I have a friend who has WordPress so I will ask her if she know who hosts their photos...
ReplyDeleteI don't know much about Wordpress, except that it's harder to learn. If you're good with HTML though, you probably won't have a problem. I was with them for awhile and felt like it wasn't as customizable as blogger (but again, that could be because I didn't take the time to learn the ins and outs of WP) and I know they charge for certain things. Plus, themes for WP are CRAZY expensive! Whereas templates for blogger are usually free, or start at $10 (for pre mades) but I've found that most people charge around 75-100 for a custom blogger template and $300 or more for WP. That alone has kept me from going back to them.
ReplyDeleteI know my way around blogger pretty well and am always switching up the look on my own site (plus friends and family). If I can help in any way, let me know. I wouldn't mind to help you at all.
Oh and as far as pictures go... I never upload mine to Picasa... I just upload them from my desktop. So I've never had an issue with needing more storage or anything and I've been blogging for over three years now.
Weird - I upload mine from my desktop too but they save to Picasa and it is now telling me that my storage is at its limit. I need to look into that!!
DeleteJust know if you go with Wordpress, you will not be able to do a lot of modifications to your template...as in almost none. So, you will pick a template that you like and basically be subject to it. You may consider getting someone who knows more HTML to help you modify your blogger site to be more of the look you are going for than switching altogether. Blogger is more liberal with what they will and won't let you do than WP.
ReplyDeleteI made the switch a couple of year ago and have zero regrets. Just know that wordpress.org and wordpress.com are completely different platforms. Wordpress.org is open source and you can do with it anything that you please, so that's where you want to be.
ReplyDeleteI wouldn't worry about purchasing more space right now. If you make the switch to wordpress, then where ever you decide to host, you'll be able to keep all of your photos and files there. Like you said, there are TONS of blogger-to-wordpress migrating tutorials. When I did it, I think the initial migration only took about ten minutes. It sounds intimidating, but it's totally easy :)
I switched from tumblr to wordpress last year and I downloaded a widget that converted all of my tumblr posts to wordpress ones and then I imported it into wordpress via the instructions from the widget. It has been so long that I can't remember what all I did, but I searched the wordpress forums with "transfer tumblr to wordpress." It was very easy, and the whole process took 5 minutes.
ReplyDeleteI have a regular wordpress.com blog that they host, but you can host your own or have another company host it. I'm just too lazy to learn how to do all that ;) My friend has wordpress.org which gives you a lot more flexibility in terms of design/layout/widgets. If I had the time I would switch to wordpress.org so I could customize mine more.
I upload all my pictures directly into the wordpress post, no need for picsas or photobucket. I've had my blog on wordpress since Feb 2011 with pretty picture heavy posts and have only used 50% of my space.
Good luck!