My Newborn Must Have's

Friday, October 5, 2012

I know a lot of bloggers do lists like these (and I've always found them hugely helpful), so here is mine. Over the last 7 weeks, these are the newborn items that have made it to my must-have list:

Baby Connect App for iPhone
Via

My friend Missy bought this application ($4.99) when her son was born and gave me a quick demo of it - I was hooked! It tracks daily activities like eating (solids, bottles and nursing), diapers, sleeping, play time and medical information. You can track more than one child on the application, and share it with another caretaker. It offers charts and graphs so you can start to look for patterns - it has been really helpful to know when I last fed Brighton, and also to see what her sleep patterns are now that she sleeps longer stretches during the night. I also have a handy record of her doctor's visits. I especially love the nursing timer - it has a timer for each side, allows you to pause the timer as needed and tells you which side you nursed from at the last feeding.

 
Wubanub Pacifier
Via
 My friend Jessie bought these for her daughter and swore by them. Brighton only likes (at least right now) the pacifiers that are similar to what they give you in the hospital, but this one has a little soft toy attached to it. She doesn't need a pacifier often, but when she does it seems to be in the car or stroller, and I can pull the little toy's legs underneath her harness to keep it in place so it doesn't fall out of her mouth. She also holds onto it as she falls asleep - so cute!


Via
 I wish they made these in adult size - these are the most beautiful, soft, lightweight blankets. They are perfect for swaddling a baby in the summer months and also as a car carrier cover - they're cotton muslin and totally breathable. We have eight of them (I bought a 4 pack and we were gifted a 4 pack) and I rarely use anything else. They are also great to use as a nursing cover, a burp cloth in a pinch and as a general blanket to cover baby.

Via
 We own both a lightweight stroller and an all terrain stroller (the Bumbleride Indie which I love). The all terrain is much heavier, longer and bulkier so I don't like to use it if I'm just popping into a store or running errands. The Snap N' Go is super lightweight and I can pull it out of the trunk and set it up with just one hand. The basket is huge and easy to get to, there are two (yes TWO!) cupholders, the front wheels swivel and the back wheels have locking brakes. It holds most major car seats so I didn't need to buy anything separate for the stroller. It's compact and easy!

Via
Our house is pretty small so when looking for baby gear, we wanted to make sure any items we purchased wouldn't overtake our living room or nursery. The Boppy travel swing was perfect! It sits low to the ground, is comfortable for Brighton and folds up pretty small so we can move it out of the way when not using it. They don't make these anymore (my friend Tonya let me borrow hers), but you can find them on eBay or Craigslist.

California Baby Bath Products
Via
A few friends recommended this line to me and I love it! I use the Calming Shampoo and Body Wash and Lotion for Brighton's baths. It's organic, gentle on her skin and smells fantastic. I also have their Diaper Wash and use it when B's little bum starts to get red - great for diaper rash!

ERGObaby Carrier
Via
 Brighton is a great night sleeper but she has started to catnap during the day and loves to be held. The ERGObaby Bundle of Joy Carrier has been a lifesaver. I can wear her to keep her close, and it helps her sleep longer. I love to use it grocery shopping - she is close to me and her huge car seat isn't taking up the cart. It's ergonomically designed so my back is supported - I love that I will be able to use the carrier all the way up to when she is 45 pounds!

Via
Any brand of these seem to work, but a zipper footie pajama (instead of snaps) makes for a fast diaper change when she wakes up hungry and wet! We have both the Gerber brand and the Circo for Target brand. 100% cotton, comfortable and cute!


And the must-have's for Mama:

Via
 This book explains the biology behind infant sleep, their patterns and how to teach your child to sleep when the time is right. The book carries you from the first weeks all the way though childhood. The book is on my nightstand and I read a few pages every week as I'm nursing to learn about the next stage of her sleep.  I like that it's not just a how-to, but also an educational read.

Medela Freestyle Pump
Via
Having a good electric breastpump was important to me since I'll be going back to work and wanted to provide milk for my daughter for at least a year. This pump is really fantastic - it's pricey, but worth it! The parts are easy to clean and the fact that it is hands free and the pump can go with you anywhere is really helpful. I've been using it to build up my milk stash (you should see my freezer) and I can pump while I eat breakfast, blog, do laundry - whatever!

Via
I know this is silly since it's not even a baby/mama item, but coffee is a must-have for me! I used to turn my nose up at instant coffee but Starbucks Via are really good! The vanilla flavor are my favorite and it makes drinking coffee super easy - just add hot water and you're set. These are great especially since I normally only have one free hand and a few minutes at a time - my kid loves to be held :)

What items were/are your newborn must-have's?

12 comments:

  1. I did this list a few times on my blog years ago. We have very similar items. My other favs were: Aden & Anais Burpy Bib, Trumpette socks, and Zutano cozie booties (for cooler months). We used a baby bjorn but am SO looking forward to using an Ergo this time.
    So thrilled for you that you are finally a mommy! :) Its a great feeling to be on the other side!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love those socks too! They are the only ones that stay on.

      Delete
  2. Starbucks Via Iced Coffee-Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a first time mom expecting soon lists like this are so helpful. Thanks for posting!

    I've been wondering, how are Brighton's older "siblings" adjusting to her? I have 2 dogs and am so excited/nervous to see how they'll do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dog and cat are doing well with her. We trained them to not go into her room and they pretty much ignore her. The dog is very gentle when she comes over to smell or see her. So far, so good!

      One other recommendation - a video monitor. It's great to see what see what she is doing as opposed to just hearing her. My kid grunts a lot in her sleep!

      Delete
  4. Tommee Tippee Closer to Nature bibs (with the padded collar).

    White noise app!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have two girls (2.5 yrs and 8 months) and that book is a lifesaver. It is soooo rough the first few weeks of sleep training but it helps mama and papa keep sanity - at least in our house!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How have you been doing your pumping? I'm always curious on everyone's method! Feed one side, pump the other? How many times per day?
    Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lactation consultant told me to pump after my morning feed because milk is more plentiful then. I pump on both sides for 20-25 min and then freeze it unless I need to have a bottle handy.

      If I pump more than once a day I get clogged ducts and I don't need much more than that since my feeezer supply is steadily growing :)

      Delete
  7. So glad somebody else agrees with me on the Medela Pump!
    I was gifted my pump from the AP mum and the medela is awesome, Kara, my lactation consultant told me if you ever don't want to feel odd while pumping, you could just cut little holes in a sports bra and make yourself even more mobile while pumping. I did it and it was a miracle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Medea actually makes a bra just like that! My cousin gave me here and that's exactly what I use. But a sports bra is cheaper I'm sure :)

      Delete
  8. I know you're not looking forward to going back to work--but I'll be interested to hear how pumping goes while working. I'm newly pregnant and that's one thing that I worry about down the road. (But not too much, just trying to get through the morning sickness now!) :-) Thanks for this helpful list, Kara!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting!!

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground