![]() |
| Via |
As an American, I am keenly aware of how incredible this nation is. There is a multitude of freedoms and privileges that I take for granted daily - the freedom of speech, public education, housing, food, transportation, even health care. These issues have been talked to death by our candidates and it seems both parties cannot agree on how to handle the problems these freedoms and privileges are facing.
I
don't even know how to encapsulate how I feel about this election
season. I watched all three presidential debates, the vice presidential
debate, the North Carolina gubernatorial debates, tons of television
advertisements, commentaries and news shows. I've read a bunch of articles and countless status updates and tweets. I've listened to my family's opinions, my friends as well. The passion and emotion of this election season feels off the charts. It's exhausting to say the least. I'll admit - I am tired of politics.
Regardless, I am making a commitment to do my research, not just on the presidential candidates, but on my congressional, state and local candidates. Those who are elected to sit in the house of representatives and the senate have significant power over the nation's finances, taxes, welfare, healthcare, commerce and military as well as provide oversight to so many other important issues. State and local officials have some of the same powers. Given how much say congress and my state/local officials have, I am making sure that I know who I am voting for. I am also making a commitment to pray for whomever is elected as our president - he has a huge job ahead of him and so many problems to fix.
It is not my place to tell anyone how to vote, nor will I broadcast who has my vote on the presidential level or state/local level, but I urge you to take your right to vote seriously - our government needs the right people in place in order to fix the problems of our nation.
So I urge you - please do your research before the election, see what your options are, regardless of which party you are affiliated with; and then vote. Your vote matters!

Love this post! I've always been a very political person, but I have so much of my heart and soul in my candidate for this election. I feel like it comes with being a parent -- like, suddenly I'm voting for my child's future and I'm all OH MY GOD! frantic about this election. The final debate took place here in my hometown of Boca Raton and I watched it with tears streaming down my face because I've just gotten really passionate about this election and the sense of community that took over our normally bustling hometown as the debate rolled on...man, it's been intense. In a good way. Mostly. I live in a very "blue" area so it's probably pretty obvious how I feel politically, but the sense of community like I said...it's been amazing. To watch this debate, this piece of history, happen right down the street -- it's been awesome. I agree with everything you said about voting on the state level. I have a date with the internet tonight to do my research on the local candidates. I've been so wrapped up with the Presidential election that I've let the local and state election just kind of slide, which I can't do. I'm looking forward to learning about everyone who is running!
ReplyDeleteGreat post!
Thank you! That must have been fun being in the town where the final debate was - I'm sure the traffic must have been insane!
DeleteThank you for this post! I am so tired of reading bloggers opinions on politics. But the bloggers I read don't usually talk about the candidate that they love, it is mostly about the candidate that they hate. It is all slanderous. It is refreshing to read something that gets to the heart of the election. Do your homework, make your choice, and just vote.
ReplyDeleteI agree. I don't understand the slander - I wish all candidates would focus on their platforms and stop running ads that are so hateful on their opposition.
Delete