Money and Maternity Leave

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

As we approach the end of my paid leave of absence from work, I have been thinking through practical ways we can cut costs in our budget. Back in 2009 when the recession was in full swing work for Matt came to an almost standstill so we had to learn to live on my salary alone. It made us really evaluate every penny that left our checking account.

I am going to start employing some of those same methods we used then during these next few months since my income will be zero. (Zero! Enter slight panic attack!)

Here is what we plan to do:

1) Cut our grocery bill by 15% - We don't spend a ton on groceries and household items, but this will help us shave off a little of the overall monthly budget and will force us to only buy the necessities. I will also cut out items that we can do without that tend to cost a lot - red meat, bacon, organic veggies, granola bars and soda (unless it is on sale). I've been using frozen vegetables in some of my meals and they work just as well!

2) Meal Plan - I used to do this all the time, but pregnancy and baby halted this process. My friend Lauren bought me this really cool meal planner for my birthday - it attaches to your fridge and it has a week by week guide so you can write out your dinners, as well as options for breakfast, lunch and snacks. I plan to cook 5 times each week, using leftovers for Sunday nights or lunches, and also do a few meatless meals each week to save cash. I've been browsing 5 dollar dinners as well for ideas!

3) Buy generic/big box store brand where possible - if we need a basic household item like toilet paper, wipes, toothbrushes etc, I will buy generic. Generics are typically based/formulated just like a name brand and are just as good. I'll also buy generic for items like canned goods, condiments, milk etc. We have a Costco membership and buying their brand (Kirkland) is always a money-saver.

4) Cut our "fun" money by 50% - This budget includes money for eating out, movies, Starbucks (sob) and any little extras. Matt and I really enjoy movies so this will be a sacrifice, but there is always Red Box and Netflix, and we won't have to pay a babysitter which also saves us some money! I will also be making coffee at home (which I do anyways since I have the kiddo with me), but will be cutting back entirely on that extra latte during my Target runs or coffee dates with friends.

5) Use Cloth Diapers - We have been using disposables for the first few months because it's a little easier for a new parent and Brighton is super long and skinny - my cloth diapers didn't fit her until she was about 3 months old. Not buying disposables will be a huge cost savings for our family; cloth is more work with the washing/drying process, but I am excited to finally use something a bit more environmentally friendly.

6) Lowlights instead of Highlights - Since I am not a natural blonde, I normally get my hair highlighted every 8-10 weeks which is an added cost I can do without this winter. I had my hairdresser put a lot more lowlights in my hair to tone down the blonde so I can stretch my hair appointment to about 12-14 weeks. Thank goodness ombre is still in style cause that is what I will be rocking this winter!

I'm thinking through a few other ways to pinch pennies, but these 6 items will be a huge help. I'm excited to be at home with my sweet baby girl and while this plan will be a sacrifice, she is more than worth it!

10 comments:

  1. Hi Kara! you can save in meat if you buy really big portions and put them in the freezer (if that's an option for you).
    If you are nursing your baby, you are also saving money.
    Please don't go crazy at saving either. A coffee from time to time it's a small life pleasure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We actually do that now - buy in bulk and freeze dinner sized portions. And I'm still nursing thank goodness!

      Thanks for the tips!!

      Delete
  2. If you decide to try coupons- try thecouponclippers.com. You can buy coupons you will actually use- good name brands etc for .08-.12 cents. It helped us alot.

    Also- check out moneysavingmom.com. Lots of good ideas and recipes!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the web sites! I will check them out this week!

      Delete
  3. I am trying to figure out how to cut costs down! I only grocery shop every 2 weeks (unless we run out of milk, the Hubs picks some up) but I spend so much on those trips. I walk out of the store feeling like I was robbed! lol

    http://housewifewilhoit.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think meal planning is what helped us cut our grocery costs - we also don't buy a lot of processed foods (god do I love Oreos though) and that has helped save a lot of $$$.

      Delete
  4. My husband and I recently dropped down to one income when I returned to university and one of our tricks to further maximize our savings is chaining our meals, which is trying to hook your dinners together so you have to buy less. Like buying a whole chicken, then using the breast meat for one dinner, the wings and drumsticks with another and then making chicken soup with the leftovers at the end of the week. We try to plan it out down to making sure that if one meal will use half an onion, another meal later in the week will finish that onion off. Soups are great to end the week with because leftover veggies and meat cuts can be easily thrown together. It ensures that the last celery stick or half an onion will get used and our cooking generates less waste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a go-t0 list of meals that are healthy and cheap and they all have a few similar ingredients, but I am going to think more about "chaining" them together - THANK YOU for that idea!!

      Delete
  5. I started meal planning for the first time about 6 months ago and I! AM! OBSESSED! It's insane how much easier it makes things, and how much it helps save on groceries! We do buy organic and budget accordingly for certain items (certain produce items, meats and milks), even if it means going without some other things -- this is partially a choice when it comes to what my toddler eats, and also partially because my husband has Celiac disease and has to stay gluten free. It's crazy what "glutenous" things can get put into pesticides and preservatives in certain items, even CVS brand medications -- so weird, right? The gluten free foods kills me, because a box of cereal can be around $6, so I've been trying to learn to coupon, too. My saving grace has been that my grocery store takes competitor coupons, so I can use a Whole Foods coupon there. Whole Foods is obviously WAY more money, so their coupons are for more off -- but $3 off at my grocery store often means an item is now $1-2, whereas at Whole Foods it'd still be $5! Cha-ching. I'm loving this new realization, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We aren't buying bacon for the next two months?? I was not aware of that. We may have to rethink our savings plan. ;)
    Love you babe! Glad we can make this time off work or you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting!!

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground