Napping and Other Sleep Drama

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

My little angel napping in our bed.
So a few weeks we hit a wall.

As I said here, Brighton has been a good night sleeper, but as she started to get older her naps were becoming less frequent and extremely short. From about 6 weeks old until she turned 3 months, she slept about 2.5-3 hours after her morning feeding (which I don't count as a nap - it's more of an extension of her nighttime sleep), but most of her naps after that were erratic and short - sometimes as short as 15 minutes, and the longest being about 55 minutes. She'd be fine during the day until about 8pm when her tiredness turned into over-tiredness and she would melt down. She would cry and fuss and cry and fuss until her bedtime at 10:30-11pm. Also, she had been sleeping in her crib at night, but naps were either in the Ergo, on my chest, Matt's chest, in our bed or in the car seat.

She was frustrated and we were too. I knew I was forming a bad habit for her by being inconsistent with her naps and needed to help her sleep so I went to my trusty sleep bible (Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child) and also asked some advice from friends with kids. We decided to start a nap time routine asap and start implementing a loose version of "graduated extinction" - leaving her for short amounts of time to let her soothe herself to sleep if she can (it's a much nicer version of the "cry it out" method.)

The first day I tried this new routine, I made sure I looked for the signs of sleepiness about 1 hour after she woke up from her morning sleep. She normally cannot handle being awake longer than 1.5-2 hours at a time. Once I saw her yawn, I immediately started the routine. I did a abbreviated version of her bedtime shtick - changed her diaper, swaddled her with a light blanket (she likes her arms out), read a story quietly, turned on the sound machine, rocked her a little, then laid her down awake but tired. I sat in the chair in her room where she couldn't see me and waited. I was going to give it 5 minutes and if she was still fussing/crying at that point, I would pick her up and soothe her. Well she fussed without crying for 5 minutes and fell asleep for an hour!!! We did the process again at the next nap cycle and it was a success!

I was totally shocked that it worked AND that she stayed asleep longer than 30-40 minutes. She fell asleep that night on her own as well and slept 9 hours.

The second day was a different story. The first nap we weren't at home and she slept in the car for about 30 minutes. At her next cycle, I repeated the process and routine from the day before. Again, I sat in her room and waited for her to fall asleep - this time it was 7 minutes of fussing, but she fell asleep on her own. Unfortunately, she woke up after 35 minutes, still tired and was quite upset about it. I let her fuss for about 5 minutes, hoping she would fall back asleep, but she didn't and her fussing turned into angry crying, so I picked her up, soothed her (which took about 10 minutes) and then laid her back down once she was calm. She immediately started crying, but I wanted to give her a few minutes to try to settle back down - this time I was going to give myself 10 minutes.

Sadly, she cried the entire 10 minutes and my blood pressure went through the roof. I went in and picked her up and felt like the worst mother in the world - her face was wet, her nose was running and her eyes were red. I calmed her down by rocking and shushing her and almost lost my resolve to lay her back down - I thought I would just hold her and let her sleep in my arms, but that would be going backwards in this whole process. She fell asleep in my arms and I laid her down, but she slept for all of 8 minutes and woke up crying. So I gave up. At that point it was close to the time for her to eat, so I fed her and mentally prepared myself for the next cycle.

 Every day after that for the next week was a mixture of the first day's success and the second day's crying. This process was interrupted when we traveled to Arkansas - she was highly distracted and over-stimulated so her sleep was terrible. So once we returned from Arkansas, I was diligent about getting her back on a routine - every nap since I've made sure to follow the routine and stay consistent. 

I am glad to say that for about 90% of her naps this past week, she fell asleep on her own in her crib, and fussed minimally! Occasionally she cried for a few minutes before falling asleep, but we continued to let her have 5 minutes to work it out on her own, and if she didn't after that time limit, we picked her up and soothed her.

We are going to keep this routine since it's going so well. My only concern at this point is how short her naps still are - 40-50 minutes maximum. I've been told to blame the 45 minute nap intruder and that she will eventually grow into a longer afternoon nap. Fingers crossed!

 
Any mama's out there also struggling with naps or the 45 minute nap intruder? What have you done to help? I'm open to suggestions!!!

27 comments:

  1. My daughter is a little older than yours I think (5 months) and she is on a similar nap schedule. two hours in the am and two hours in the afternoon. I've found that at the 45 minute mark she wakes up, but I let her cry it out for about 10 minutes, and she always falls back asleep.

    It's hard- honestly, for me, sleep schedule has been the most challenging part of parenting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh...sleep issues. The baby comes and it is all about gas (i.e my baby has gas and is in pain and won't sleep) then it is all about sleep! That 45 minute intruder will never go away - they will always stir/wake at 45 minutes and it is then that you need to work on giving B the tools to fall asleep again. If she wakes at 45 and is cold, smells something, too hot, or is used to you picking her up, she won't put herself back to sleep.

    When you are ready, I would encourage you to let her fuss a little bit longer to see if she will go back to sleep. I mean - she wakes multiple times at night and is able to put herself back to sleep so you know she CAN do it... :-)

    Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so true, LifeBegins - for mine is was all about gas and reflux and feeding. Now it is all about sleep and routines. I did the sleep lady's good night sleep tight book but I went at it much more abruptly and didn't really try to soothe the baby at all because he would just wake up more if I went in his room. So I let him CIO and after the first day it was a lot better. Today must be a fluke, it's been about a week, but he has not cried AT ALL for any of his naps today! And he was napping 30 minutes on the dot and I could not get him to extend them but today he has napped 1 hour for each nap so far. So strange. I'd like to think it is the training working but it is probably just one of those random amazing days...

    Also, in reference to what previous posters have said, I also let him fuss longer if he wakes. The sleep lady suggested waiting about 15 minutes I think, something like that, because he could put himself back to sleep and reward me with another 45 minutes nap time. It doesn't usually work but sometimes it does. She recommends resisting picking the baby up because it will teach him that if he CIO long enough then I will come rescue him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm like you and can't handle letting her cry it out for more than 10 minutes! I've shut myself in the bathroom, ran the water and read my Bible when she is crying...and still come into the room feeling terrible when her face is so red and she is so upset. She's never been able to fall asleep on her own when she wakes up 45 minutes into her nap...so I've just started putting her in her swing for naps, the constant rocking puts her back to sleep as soon as she wakes & she naps for 2 hours again. She goes down fine in her crib at night, and doesn't wake after 45 minutes...so I'm alright with the swing thing for now! As long as she is sleeping!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish she'd fall asleep in the swing! She just plays in it. Listening to your kid cry is the worst, isn't it?

      How is Willow doing with her reflux?

      Delete
    2. Yeah, sometimes the swing backfires and it keeps her up...but it is a thousand times better than the crib. I think because it keeps her upright & doesn't upset her reflux. It's getting better by the way, she doesn't spit up as much but she is still arching her back and screaming like she is super uncomfortable. It is absolutely terrible listening to her cry, breaks my heart! We changed her medication so hopefully it starts working!!

      Delete
  5. We just completed the Ferber method of sleep training and it has worked well for us. Have you heard of this method? Might be a good method for you once you feel emotionally ready to handle a little more crying. Our biggest battle was bed/night time sleep, not naps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard of it! I am not emotionally ready for it though. I'm doing a slow ease into letting her cry/fuss for longer periods of time. She still gets SO riled up if I leave her for longer than 15 minutes - to the point that she can't calm herself back down. She's only 3 months old so I want to give her some time to learn. ;)

      Delete
  6. it took me til my 3rd baby to get a decent napper (but he was a champion!). my daughter, the oldest, was a terrific nighttime sleeper from very early, but didn't want to nap--and didn't need to. she could pass the day with a couple of short snoozes and still be her normal self til bedtime at 8 (her brothers would always fall apart before dinner if they didn't get good naps). i was grateful that she slept well at night, and felt like it was worth the short daytime breaks, but still, it was reeeeeeeeally hard some days to get through the afternoons without a little downtime for mama! there were many, many days that i lost my composure after falling asleep in the rocking chair with cleo, only to have her wake me up because SHE didn't feel sleepy at all! eventually (when she was around 2) i stopped trying and changed "nap time" to "quiet time." it wasn't a tough transition and has remained an absolutely unwavering routine in our house for the last 8 years. we mostly ferberized our babies when they had problems sleeping, and it certainly can be an emotionally challenging strategy, especially if your partner isn't totally on board; definitely for older babies. it sounds like you are following a very reasonable and manageable plan; brighton is still so little, it sounds like she's doing just great.

    i think i missed somewhere the description of the 45 minute nap intruder; i don't know what that is, but i have found with all three of mine it is axiomatic that if a child wakes up at around 45 minutes there is no going back to sleep. i always thought it was just my kids, but maybe it's really a thing?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't read the other comments but thought I would share my two sense since I do work in baby sleep consulting, after all! :) It is very common for babies to have short naps at this age- 30-45 minute naps are common. By 6 months, you should be aiming for at least one full hour, which is most restorative, but even then some babies only nap for one hour, not three hours like many parents expect. But, at her young age most babies cannot consistently have long naps- that usually comes later. Napping by the clock also comes a little later for MOST babies (6 months or so on average). At this age, it's best to nap based on awake time, just like you are doing, with no more than 2 hours of awake time (1.5 hours for many babies at this age). If she has trouble falling asleep at naptime, try putting her down a little earlier. Just wanted to share all this, because sometimes it helps to lower expectations a little with at particular age- under 4.5 months. It will get more consistent with time, promise :) You probably already know that naps are much harder to get set than night sleep for most parents. Feel free to message me if you have any specific questions. Good luck- you are doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Kara, I'm a long time reader, first time commenter. I had to write because I think there are much better options than any form of cry-it-out. Have you read The No-Cry Sleep Solution by Elizabeth Pantley? It really helped me and explains why cry-it-out (even the gradual extinction) isn't the best option and gives lots of other suggestions for getting your sweet baby to sleep. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not, but I will check it out. CIO is really hard for me so in definitely open to suggestions! Thank you so much!

      Delete
  9. Ahh! I hated the 45 minute intruder. No amount of crying it out or soothing would get her back to sleep for more than 10 minutes. I eventually gave up trying and accepted the 45 minute nap, just made sure she was going down ever 1.5 hours, and eventually she moved past it and is back to 1.5-2 hours now. I think the 45 minute intruder comes in around developmental spurt/growth spurt time so no matter what you do I think there are other things going on that will override it! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You might want to hold off until 4 months. Weissbluth even states that's the best time to start the nap training as their brains aren't quite there yet at 3. Just a suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Honestly, three months is too young to sleep train. She'll just keep changing the game on you anyway. I would focus on having healthy associations with sleep, and please don't leave her in her crib crying for 15 minutes! She has no idea why you're doing that and it won't accomplish anything healthy at this age. I think a poster above said it was a good idea to lower your expectations, and I agree. Even Ferber says no sleep training until four months. Her naps will lengthen, especially as she's able to stay awake longer. Maybe try putting her to bed earlier if she's that cranky?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your perspective! As an FYI,I have never left her crying for longer than 10 minutes and that was only a few times. And it almost gave me a heart attack!

      Honestly I was told that 3.5-4 months was fine for sleep training, but some say older? How old then?

      Delete
    2. As a former nanny, overnight infant specialist, and now as a mom, I've done a lot of sleeping training with over 30 babies. 4 months minimum, weight of 12 pounds minimum but that's just a rough guide. Every baby develops at a different timetable, and not all babies are ready at X months, etc. The naps will lengthen as she gets older, I promise. :) What the above poster said about an earlier bedtime is TOTALLY spot on. As you already know from Weissbluth, sleep begets sleep! Also remember that a sleep cycle for a baby this age is 45 minutes. :) That's why she's only napping for 50 minutes max.

      Delete
    3. Got it! She is almost 4 months and is definitely 12 lbs. but I will lower my expectations.

      I have tried an earlier bedtime for weeks but she wakes up at- you guessed it- the 40 min mark and it takes another hour to get her back down. I'm going to keep trying but she has held fast to a 1030pm bedtime no matter what I try.

      Thanks for the advice!!!!

      Delete
  12. Kara you are so awesome :) I'm so glad that you read my comment as I intended it (with love <3). I applaud you for posting such personal stuff and really being open to comments. Yay sisterhood and learning from each other! Lucky baby and hubby to have you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course! I asked for advice and am glad there are awesome people like you and the other commenters who are willing to share their thoughts. Motherhood is hard and I'm always open to opinions since I've never done this before. :)

      Delete
  13. Kara you are so awesome :) I'm so glad that you read my comment as I intended it (with love <3). I applaud you for posting such personal stuff and really being open to comments. Yay sisterhood and learning from each other! Lucky baby and hubby to have you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm with you on the sleep thing! My little one will only nap on my chest but that's not our major problem, it's nightmares. I have a foster baby that wakes up multiple times during the night screaming. It's only for two nights after visits with the bio parents, but I feel so awful for the little thing. :( I just can't stand the thought of letting my little one cry it out after everything this kiddo's been through. I really don't have any helpful advice, just wanted to let you know I feel your pain.
    And congratulations on your beautiful baby girl (I know I'm a bit late)! My husband and I are in the process of trying to adopt our own little bundle of joy and some of your posts on adoption have been really helpful for us. Please feel free to check out my blog irrationalfancy.blogspot.com if you ever get the chance. I write about what it's like to be a foster mom hoping to adopt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nightmares? Poor thing! I will definitely check out your blog - thanks so much for posting!

      Delete
    2. Hi Kara, I'm a long time reader of your blog, but have never really posted.

      My baby is about 6 weeks older than Brighton and has a similar sleeping style/pattern. I've been following this group on Babycentre: http://community.babycenter.com/groups/a199215/teaching_your_baby_and_toddler_to_sleep
      I don't participate but get a daily digest email from them and so far all the posts I've seen have been positive and encouraging (odd for BabyCentre!). I guess I just like getting it because it helps remind me that I'm not alone in this thing and every other mother out there is in a similar situation - all doing the best we can :)

      I used their sleep chart as a guide rather than a rule, and after a while I realised that Jeremy (my baby) was following the timeframes naturally himself. https://docs.google.com/document/d/11GHo4keUb2TVJUlSL1kD6HQcEgaNFBmzoQoOzcpcyas/edit?hl=en&authkey=CPXE1bsO&pli=1#

      I'm in Australia and going into summer - am insanely jealous of all the warm Christmas photo's and poses you're going to be able to take!

      Delete
    3. Bianca, thank you for that link! I will definitely check it out and its encouraging to know that there are other mommies with the same concerns!

      Happy Christmas to you and I'm jealous of YOUR summer! If I could live in a warm climate year round, I would jump at the chance.

      Delete
  15. We are experiencing the same thing over here! My daughter is the same age as your little one and napping in her crib has been a battle. She falls asleep so well on her own at night, but napping is a different story! For the first 2-2 1/2 months she only would nap in her swing or on my chest. When she napped in her swing she would sleep anywhere from an 1 1/2-2 1/2 hours. When she was getting close to 3 months I knew we needed to start crib naps. The problem is, she NEVER sleeps that long in there! The longest nap she has taken in her crib has been about 1 1/2 hours and that has only been a few times. Usually she sleeps about 35-40 minutes and when she wakes up she is still tired and fussy, but won't fall back to sleep in her crib (although if I pick her up and hold her she will fall asleep on me!) We are sticking to it though, putting her in her crib for every nap, because I really want her to get used to it and hopefully her naps will consistently get longer (fingers crossed) We also had the same issue of baby getting way over tired at night (we tried to keep her up until we went to bed at 10) but she was getting so over tired that 1. She would fuss and cry for an hour or so and 2. She wasn't getting a good last feeding because she was so sleepy she was falling asleep while breast feeding so then she couldn't sleep through most of the night without needing to eat. We moved her bedtime up to 9 pm and her mood has changed drastically. Plus she gets a great last feeding so she actually sleeps lONGER than she did when she was going to bed at 10! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting!!

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground