![]() |
| Blurry iPhone picture of my little bear sleeping in her favorite spot - in someone's arms! |
During pregnancy the constant need to pee, plus my aching back and legs, robbed me of good sleep. I went through bouts of insomnia that I would try to remedy with long naps after work. I knew parenthood would bring on more sleepless nights and I tried to store up as much sleep as I could (although I know it doesn't work like that).
When Brighton was born, I had been awake for almost 24 hours. I had gone to bed around 9pm, woke up at 11pm to pee, then my contractions started. I was able to get an hour nap in before I started pushing, but after she was born, I only slept a few hours here and there before we went home. I was bleary-eyed and knew that my relationship with sleep was forever changed.
The first two weeks of Brighton's life, I fed her every 2.5 hours during the day, and every 3 hours at night. I got used to waking up so often and was thankfully able to sleep when she slept during the night hours. After her 2 week checkup, we were given the ok from her pediatrician to allow her to sleep 4 hours between feedings at night (she had beefed up above and beyond her birth weight), but only as long as we fed her every 2-2.5 hours during the day.
At her one month appointment, the pediatrician said we could let her sleep as long as she wanted at night, as long as I continued to feed her every 2-2.5 hours during the day so she could get in the calories she needed. She told me to not force her into longer stretches since she was so little, and to let her lead the way. Well my daughter definitely led the way! At six weeks she was sleeping 5-6 hours a night, by 8 weeks it was 7-8 hours a night and by 10 weeks it was 8-9 hours a night.
Last night she slept 10 hours and 20 minutes. She is 11 weeks old.
I know I am lucky here. I have not done anything to push her into sleeping this much - she has done it all on her own. And my relationship with sleep is back on track - I am getting as much sleep as she is at night.
Naps are a whole other story, but since her night sleep is so good, I haven't focused on it too much. She gets in a long morning nap after she first wakes up to eat, and then takes 30-40 minute naps throughout the day, sometimes in my arms or in the Ergo, sometimes in her crib. She is waking up happy so I am not going to worry about nap times since she is still so young. Also, we rock her to sleep at every nap and for nighttime sleep, but I am slowly weaning her of that and trying to lay her down awake but tired - sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I am not comfortable with letting her fuss/cry for longer than 5 minutes since she hasn't shown any signs of being able to self-soothe yet.
Here is what I have learned so far about infant sleep:
Eating Matters - What I have noticed through tracking her sleeping and eating through the Baby Connect app is that she nurses around 1 hour and 45 minutes total daily (or 7 times). If I don't get in that much nursing for the day by around 10pm she will not fall asleep until she gets that last feeding in - which puts her to bed around midnight. Knowing this has made me pretty diligent about feeding her every 2-2.5 hours during the day; thankfully she is ready to eat every 2-2.5 hours!
Bedtime Routines Work - We started a consistent bedtime routine to help her understand when it's time to sleep - change her diaper, a little infant massage, pajamas, read a few books, turn on the sound machine, nurse, rock her to sleep, lay her down and turn off the light. My bible of sleep - Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child - recommends you start a routine as soon as possible and so far it's worked well.
Sleep Begats Sleep - If Brighton misses a nap, even a 30 minute one, it throws her off. Becoming overtired actually keeps babies awake. If she sleeps more during the day, she sleeps more at night. It's not logical, but it's biological!
Thankfully my daughter is a good sleeper, just like her mama. But I know I have a lot more to learn!
Any recommendations/tips that have worked for you? Please share in the comments section!

Do you have a nap routine? We have had good luck with a pre nap routine. It is an abridged version of our night routine. At night we feed, bath, massage,pjs, sleep sack, feed, story, song, in crib, white noise machine and then leave. Before each nap we sleep sack, story, song, crib, white noise machine and leave. It seems to have really helped our little guy realize it is sleep time.
ReplyDeleteAlso, honestly? If you are having fantastic nights like that every night I wouldn't mess with your night stuff :-) and even though you think she can't self soothe, keep in mind B is probably waking at least 5 times throughout the ten hour night stretch and is obviously putting herself back to sleep! Especially knowing you rock her to sleep. Talented girl :-)
We don't have a nap routine. I might start trying that.
DeleteI am going to keep the night routine since it works and you're right - she totally wakes up a few times because I've heard her cry out and she is asleep again within a minute. For some reason the naps seem harder - she wakes up at 40 minutes almost every time...
Awesome post, Kara! I agree with all the points you made about infant sleep. They were certainly true with my two babies!
ReplyDeleteYou are SO right - a bedtime routine is critical to good sleep! So glad your little girl got the memo so quickly. It took our daughter about 4.5 months, but now at 11 months she's still an amazing sleeper. Glad you're getting in your zzz's too!
ReplyDeleteYou are SO right! I am ALL about the routines, especially a bedtime routine. My little guy was called "low sleep needs" by his pediatrician early on and I credit him sleeping at ALL due to us having such a strict routine. My little one dropped down to one nap a day at 6 months old and only sleeps 10-11 hours at night now at 16 months. "Low sleep needs" = one tiiiiired mama, but I take all the sleep I can get. Some friends laugh at me and call me a "stickler" for my schedule, but it's necessary! Dinner, bathtime, lotion rub, pajama time, teeth brushing, storytime (3 books, always) and bed. If I skip even ONE thing or do them out of order, we're done! I'm jealous of people with kids who are good sleepers. I always say if I have another one, it better know how to sleep! Hahaha.
ReplyDeleteHey a happy well-rested mama makes for a happy home! I totally get being diligent about his bedtime esp if it makes your life easier!!
DeleteI have the same book..my daughter is now 2 years old and has been sleeping 12 hrs since 3 months. Thank you Healthy Sleep Habits!! Your daughter is beautiful, and I love following you on your blog.
ReplyDeleteFingers crossed the sleep trend continues :)
Thanks for sharing- glad it's going so well! Love that book by the way :) I work for a baby sleep site, so I have learned a ton about baby sleep and I really enjoy it :) It might be good to know that, while this may not and hopefully won't happen to your little one, it's very common for good early-on night sleepers to hit a regression around 3 or 4 months, when they transition from being mostly in deep newborn sleep stages to a more 'adult' sleep patterns. Sometimes they start waking up a lot at that time and parents wonder what happened to their good sleeper :) It usually just means they need to be taught to self-soothe, but that issue/question comes up a lot in my job! Anyway good luck and glad you are getting much needed sleep!!
ReplyDeleteWow, which site? (Are you allowed to disclose?) I'd love to hear more advice from you if you want to share! I've heard about that 3/4 month sleep regression. Yikes!
DeleteI've never commented on your blog before but after reading this i just wanted to encourage you about the nap thing - my son (who is now 20mo) was similar to your daughter - sleeping 10-12 hours a night by 3 months old, but not napping well. everyone kept telling me just not to complain becuase he was such a good sleeper at night - but eventually at about 5-6 months, after sleeping no more than 30 min at a time a few times a day finally went to 2 consistent (and long) naps a day. when you can, i'd say just keep trying to put her down the same times every day and she'll grow into her naps. and i also totally agree - sleep begets sleep. i feel bad for my friends whose kids don't sleep, but it's so true. good luck! - jess
ReplyDeleteThat is encouraging to hear. I am going to start laying her down around the same time each day - even if she quietly plays in her crib at least she'll get used to the idea! Thanks for the encouragement!
DeleteWe were not diligent about a bedtime routine from the start and it came back to bite us! At 4 months I started HSHHC philosophies and it has helped us tremendously. My daughter takes awesome naps (almost like clockwork as she cannot handle being awake for more than 2 hours at a time) but night sleep is still hit or miss. The longest stretch she has EVER given us (and she is 6 months tomorrow) is 9 hours and that was once. If she wakes during the night she is up for a long time (think 1.5-2 hours just wide awake) so that is our next issue we need to address. But, I do see a correlation between quality of naps and quality of night sleep!
ReplyDeleteAwesome job mama!!! This was a post from my own heart! Consistency and routine will be your friend, that I can promise you! Babies feel safe and secure and happy when they know what to expect, I have seen it in my own babies.
ReplyDeleteThanks Liv! Any advice you ever want to pass along is more than welcome :)
DeleteHi Kara - our babies are so similar! Caroline is 12 weeks old. We started getting 5-6 hour stretches at 3 weeks and even an 8-9 hour stretch before 8 weeks. Now she is typically sleeping through the night, although every time she goes through a growth spurt it adjusts a little. We have a bedtime routine but she did the night sleeping all by herself. For naps we are the same as you - I swaddle her and rock her to sleep, and her naps are anywhere from 25-45 minutes, more if I were to catch her in the car or in the stroller. I'm not that worried about it because she sleeps so well through the night and even though I rock her to sleep, we're obviously doing something right since she sleeps so long. I also did a free sleep consult with Tired Tot Tutor on Facebook and they said that it is normal for infants this age to have light sleep patterns during the day. I am trying to practice putting Caroline down "drowsy but awake" so she is able to do this with her naps, but like other commenters, I'm sure she is self-soothing through the night.
ReplyDelete-Lisa :)