On My Heart: When To Listen and When To Speak

Thursday, December 6, 2012

Have you ever had one of those moments when you see yourself clearly? Like you are stepping outside of yourself for a moment, looking into the scene - and you see yourself and it's just plain ugly?

I had one of those moments this year and it changed everything.

But before I tell you about that moment, I need to tell you about my girlfriends: I have a group of amazing friends. Most of us knew one another from a church we all used to attend at one point in time; and then the group expanded to include a friend from work, or a neighbor, or a sister in law. It grew into something wonderful - a bevy of young married women who could count upon one another in good times and in bad. These are the women with whom I have shared my heart fully. We became sisters, helping one another as we have tried to figure out adulthood and marriage and eventually parenthood. Over the last four years, most of that core group have become mothers as well. 

My girlfriends are diverse - although we are all in the same age range by a decade and in the same stage of life, we have somewhat different ideas about how to run our households, how to raise our children, how to have a healthy marriage. The differences aren't morally different, but they are different nonetheless. And these differences have been topics of conversation - we learn from one another by hearing about each others experiences and ideas, even if we don't choose those same things for ourselves.

So one night this past spring, on our annual beach trip as friends, I had that moment of looking into the scene and I did not like what I saw.

At the dinner table one night, one of my friends brought up a topic that is controversial in the "mom" community and while most of my friends were politely asking questions to the friend who brought up the subject, I made the (now regrettable) decision to share my opinion about it. I did not agree with the friend's decision or opinion and my words, although well-intentioned, came across as biting and somewhat condescending.

I was so ugly in that moment.

The table fell somewhat silent after I spoke and one of my girlfriends, who has no problem calling me out on my crap in a loving way, said something to the effect of, "Well she thinks this is the best choice for her." I was immediately convicted and humbled - I realized that I had opened my mouth unnecessarily, and my words had hurt someone that I loved. I apologized a few minutes later after the table was cleared. My friend forgave me immediately - she is a good friend like that.

My mistake made me realize that I needed to learn when to listen and when to speak. I have always been an extrovert, I have always had a passionate streak, and I have always had the desire to help people. While those attributes can be a blessing, they are also a curse - they have shaped me into a person who ends up sharing a lot of what she thinks in the moment (most of the time without a filter) hoping that it will help the people around her. Sadly, what I realized is that more than 50% of the time I am hurting more than I am helping with my words. I had become a lecturer more than a friend, and let's face it - no one likes a know-it-all.

Opinions that are solicited and asked for can be helpful, encouraging, even life-sustaining at times. But opinions that are not asked for can come across like arrows, like needles, even like a hammer. They can offend and hurt and sometimes cause massive damage, whether we intend for them to or not. What I have learned over the last few months is that I can get incredibly frustrated and defensive when people offer unsolicited advice and opinions to me - pregnancy and parenthood has brought so much advice and it drives me crazy (unless of course I ask for it). The ironic part of all of this is that while I was annoyed with those who were freely offering me their opinions, I was just as guilty as they were. I offered my thoughts to anyone who would hear them, without thinking about whether the person had asked or not.

Since that night this past spring, I have thought a lot about my words and when to use them. I still offer my thoughts, opinions and ideas; but I try to remind myself to only offer them when asked, or at least apologize if I know I have spoken unnecessarily or inadvertently overstepped my bounds with my opinions.

What I have learned is that while 99.9% of what I say is well-intentioned that does not mean that I need to say it. Although I have a voice that does not mean it should be heard all the time. I have always wanted my words to add value and matter in the moments when they need to matter; but unless I have the wisdom to know when they don't mean anything and when they're wasteful then I'm just a clanging cymbal, a loud noise and an annoyance.

It's humbling to realize and pinpoint the ugliness in ourselves, to see the version of us that others can see. I don't like being the kind of woman who is unwise with her words. I'm thankful that I've been lucky enough to see my flaws and have the sense to try to work on them. This has been one of the hardest lessons of my life so far.

I'm praying for the grace to know when to listen and to know when to speak.

10 comments:

  1. Oh, this is a lesson I fear I will NEVER EVER LEARN. I am so opinionated, and I do always mean well, but that doesn't mean that I come across like it. Even my boss says I "have no tact" and refuses to let me work with faculty at the university I work at because I've made so many unintentional enemies. I rub people the wrong way. I'm sorry, you know? I try to stay quiet, but staying quiet is also not my strong suit ... oops. My dad would be proud :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I resonate with this completely! Thank you for sharing! Some of my worst blunders are jokes gone wrong - not thinking before I speak combined with things just sounding worse once they are out of my mouth than in my head. Ugh. So embarrassing and difficult. You are wise to address the issue. I've been trying, but I wish it was automatic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish it was automatic for me too! I'm definitely not there yet and I have a feeling I will struggle with this for a long time.

      Delete
  3. The world of mom- and parenting-related decisions seems to be about ten zillion times more complicated than even politics or religion. My daughter is 3 months old and I hate that I have to censor my questions and the sharing of my decisions for fear that I'll accidentally upset someone who doesn't agree or who went a different way. If I choose to do something one way, it's because I think it's the best way for us - but sometimes I feel a need to back off my convictions just so I don't offend someone. I appreciate the need for all of us to be sensitive and kind and open-minded and gracious and on and on, but we also all have our own way of doing things and we shouldn't hide (or so I tell myself) behind what we know is right for us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could write a whole other post about that! There is a lot of sensitivity around parenting decisions these days - seems silly that people take your decisions personally when it really isn't about them - it's about what is right for your family.

      Thanks for your comment!!!

      Delete
  4. Been there. Done that. Still a work in progress :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautifully written. Mom topics can be so very controversial. I think I have the opposite problem where I take things too personally and over-analyze every comment made to me. I know people mean well, but it's hard for me to not get defensive. I have to remind myself to take a deep breath, trust that I know best, and not read too much into what others say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maggie, I am SO right there with you. I lean more in this direction as well. I have to really work at trusting myself, and to just let the words of others roll off my back instead of over-analyzing every single suggestion or opinion.

      Great post and food for thought!

      Delete
    2. Maggie and Brittnie - I think we all struggle with that. I know I do. When I feel myself getting defensive, I try to remember where the other person is coming from and if that their choice is different than mine, it isn't a criticism of the way I choose to raise my child. It's just a choice they made for themselves and it has nothing to do with me. Easier said that done of course!

      Plus people are so quick to give advice and opinions to parents of young children! It's annoying but my girlfriend has a good trick that keeps her sane - she smiles and says, "Thanks! That is something I'll have to think about." Then the person feels validated and heard and the subject typically changes. I might have to try that sometime. ;)

      Delete

Thank you so much for commenting!!

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground