![]() |
| Someone learned to sit up on her own this weekend!!! |
Reading: I have been on a little reading break since going back to work. I read a lot of online news, specifically financial news given my line of work. I definitely need a book recommendation - preferably something not about teenagers in a post-apocalyptic world ;)
Watching: I love all the Real Housewives, but Beverly Hills is my favorite. Also, Vanderpump Rules (I know, I know, it's ridiculous) and Parks and Rec. Seriously how cute was Leslie and Ben's wedding? (tears)
Listening to: My daughter's constant babble. It is so hysterical. She normally has a really high pitched voice, but this past week she has dropped an octave when she makes this "ba ba ba ba" sound. It's raspy and so cute. I need to get it on video but every time she sees my iPhone she stops. Figures!
Thinking about: Brighton's weight. I will expand on this issue this week in another post, but ever since her 6 month appointment, the amount of calories and ounces of milk and tablespoons of food are all I can think about. It was extremely stressful to be told that I should be concerned that she is only in the 10th percentile for weight (especially when she is in the 97th for height and is hitting all her developmental milestones).
Also, my job. I am burned out. Maybe it's because I have done the same job for the last 3 1/2 years, or maybe I am not learning anything anymore, or maybe I am just out of practice since I wasn't working outside the home for 6 months, but some days I am just totally spent! I might be looking/asking for a change soon.
Looking forward to: Spring! Last year I was pregnant at this time and most of my summer dresses were a little too short in the front to wear. I'm excited to get some color on this pale skin of mine and spend more time outside! Also, Matt and I will celebrate 8 years of marriage at month end and I can't wait for a night out with just him.
Making me happy: Oh man, my husband is such a freaking rock star. He continues to amaze me with his servant heart and I just love our relationship right now as we figure out parenthood together. I am also really loving all the extra time with my mom during the week since she is taking care of Brighton 4 days a week. And of course my baby girl who is getting funnier and sillier day by day.
Do you have a Currently post? If so, link to it in the comments - I'd love to read it!
Thanks to Danielle for the inspiration for these posts.

I suppose it's difficult not to worry when doctor's tell you to worry, but you have a tall and skinny beautiful lovely girl..what else do doctor's need to give parents a break? ;)
ReplyDeleteShe looks so grown up sitting up, her cheeks look yummlicioussss!!
If I were a doctor she would be in my 200th percent of baby gorgeousness :)
if skinny is negative...ignore it...I am not native and don't want to say half the things I write :) I meant that if she is thin, well she is thin :)
ReplyDeleteTry not to stress about her weight. I spent the first 3 months of my baby's life going to the doctors every other day to have her weight checked because she only gained 2 1/2 lb since birth(and took her almost 2 months to reach her birth weight) even though she gained oz at every appt. I was in tears almost every day, stressing about her weight, and feeling like a failure because she wasn't growing fast enough for their liking even though she was growing. Now she's 5 1/2 months and at the 50 percentile for both weight and height. I think doctors rely too much on that chart and don't take into account the parents size(you and Matt are both tiny, chances are you're not going to have a super chunky baby) and how active the baby is. She's adorable, hitting her milestones and you're doing a damn good job Mama!
ReplyDeleteMy daughter (who's turning one on March 16th) is also tall and thin. I've worried a whole lot because of that, but luckily I have the most amazing mom friends (one of them is even a doctor!) always there to assure me there's nothing wrong with her. In time I've learned to trust that to be true, because I know my daughter better than any doctor who sees her for five minutes or sometimes not at all, just her charts. She's happy & healthy, and I'm certain your sweet little Brighton is too. You'd know if something was wrong. :)
ReplyDeleteI really liked John Green's novel Paper Towns!
Don't worry about the weight! As long as she is growing and hasn't had a signifcant drop on the curve, there is no cause for concern. My girl isn't even on the charts, and she's fine because she has gained weight, albeit small amounts, consistently. Thankfully our doctor wasn't over the top about the weight thing. Some doctors need to relax!
ReplyDeleteOh goodness, I can totally relate on the weight issues/doctor issues. Personally, I think doctor's need educate themselves more about infant weights (i.e. using the correct chart for breastfed babies). When my girl was 2 months old, the doctor started pushing me to formula feed over breastfeed because he didn't think she was gaining weight fast enough. She was (is) healthy and trucking along her growth curve just fine. Even with being forced into a strict 2-hour nursing schedule for EIGHT months, she stayed the same on her grown charts - the 3-5th percentiles. Looking back now, the doctor wasn't using the right charts. On the bf charts, she was in the 25th percentile. Please don't let your doctor pressure you into doing something you don't want to do.
ReplyDeleteSo sorry for the unintended paragraph/rant. Follow your heart!
I know from experience that it is hard not to, but do not worry about her weight! My son will be eight months old on Friday and has just now hit 15 pounds exactly. He is in the 3rd percentile for weight and 48th for height and our doctor is not concerned at all! He is doing everything that he should be doing and appears healthy and that is what our pedi. told us was most important!! He is breastfed and eats 4oz of baby food in the morning and 4 oz at night! No formula or other substitutions.
ReplyDeleteI'm mad that you were told to worry!!! If you feel like Brighton is eating enough good, nutritious food, how is that fair?? Moms don't need more to worry about and especially don't need to be TOLD to worry. Obviously you have her best interest at heart.
ReplyDeleteDo you know which chart they used? Here's the WHO's breastfed baby charts http://www.cdc.gov/growthcharts/who_charts.htm. Made a big difference for us!
ReplyDeleteI second Mariel about the WHO chart. My little guy is only in the 10th percentile also, but since he is growing on a curve they aren't worried. I mean, not all babies can be at the 50th, because that just wouldn't make sense mathematically! ;)
ReplyDeleteBrighton is SO precious. Looks so healthy, too! I know you are doing everything she needs to a T, and more. You know her so much better than the docs do, sometimes the "charts" and "norms" tell us we should be this or that. Well I think we have to find our own definition of "normal" for our kids. :). Kara I felt so burnt out about a month back into working. It was a huge long adjustment for me, physically, mentally, to shift into that working mom role. You are doing awesome, keep it up. LOVE:)
ReplyDeleteHi Kara! I just wanted to share with you my newly opened Etsy store
ReplyDeletehttp://www.etsy.com/shop/PaytonsBoutique
I make make unique headbands for little ones at a reasonable price. I can do just about anything!
I'm so sorry that Brightons weight has been worrying you. I commented before about my long and lean baby. He is in the 75th for height and 5th for weight. For me, his weight issues were combined with a supply drop when I went back to work, so I have had a lot of guilt over it and have had to start supplementing. Even with that though, he is slow to gain. I think that is just the way some babies grow. Brighton seems so happy and active and is hitting her milestones just like my baby- to me that is what matters. Keep doing what you're doing. You're a great mommy!
ReplyDelete