Currently

Monday, April 29, 2013

Brighton eating a banana for the first time - she was super happy about it!
 Loving: I took Friday off last week and it was a much needed break from work. This is the most chaotic, busy, crazy time of the year in my job and last week was really, really hard (hence the lack of posts on the blog - sorry!) Taking just one day off to spend with Brighton, properly clean my house and run a few errands was a welcome relief. I love a 3 day weekend!

Also, I chopped about 5 inches off my hair a few weeks ago and added some more highlights and I love it. It's the shortest its been in about 5 years, but I needed it!

Reading: I'm scouring any and every site and baby book about bottle strikes. Brighton has been putting up a fight over the last few days and it is stressing me out!!! I'm praying it's just a short phase and she'll get back to drinking her milk, otherwise I'll be calling her doctor to get some answers and advice.

Watching: Mad Men, Real Housewives of Atlanta and Parks and Rec. Is it just me, or is Mad Men super boring this season? We are only 3 episodes in, but I feel like the writers are giving us the same tired story over and over.

Listening to: The last few weeks I've been obsessed with talk radio. I'm a certified old lady!

Thinking about: Brighton's daily schedule is changing - she used to wake up around 6:30 a.m. and eat every 3 hours, and take about 3 naps throughout the day. She keeps waking up in the morning later and later, and doesn't seem hungry every 3 hours anymore, so I am looking at extending her eating time to 3.5 or 4 hours. I'm using this site to help set a flexible schedule - I hope it works!

Also, since dropping my pumping sessions during the day, I have felt like a thick cloud is following me around. I have heard about depression being a side effect of weaning (even a few of my readers warned me about it), but I didn't expect it to hit me so quickly. Last week I was incredibly emotional and found myself on the verge of tears over the smallest things. It was frustrating to feel so out of control, and then lo and behold, I started my period. I feel a little better going into this week, but I still sense that heaviness around me.

Being a woman sucks sometimes.

Looking forward to: A yet-to-be-booked beach trip with Matt and B, warmer weather (NC regressed and it was cold and rainy lately), and working out more consistently.

Making me happy: The successes of my friends - my pal Anna hosted an amazing event through Kinfolk Magazine.


Do you have a Currently post? If so, link to it in the comments - I'd love to read it!

Thanks to Danielle for the inspiration for these posts.

9 comments:

  1. Hey Kara,
    Your new hair-do seems to be terrific. Show us whenever you can please.
    Being a woman sure does suck from time to time -espacailly when you are exhausted from being a full-time working mum- but please keep your head up and don't let the pressure get you.
    trust yourself because you are worth it!
    good day,

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy catching up on the more "day to day" aspects of your life through your "Currently" posts. : ) I hope this weaning induced depression passes quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my gosh, does brighton look like you here OR WHAT?! geez..haha she's so cute..i just love seeing her on here!! && Kara, we've been going through a pregnancy scare and then again, I got my period! Last week was also the same for me, thank god Friday came as well as a nice weekend..but, today's back to icky yicky :/ Hope this week's better!

    You're such a great mommy, && you need to know that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel the same about Mad Men. I read an interview with Matthew Weiner, though and it seems like this season is Don's season to make a choice.. whether he goes further down this path or he decides to make a change. And I saw that in last night's episode. I'm hoping something happens soon because I'm bored of Don's story line.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love 3 day weekends!! I can not wait for new next holiday!! and that photo with the banana is hilarious and adorable!!
    Have you read this article.. maybe it could help.. http://joannagoddard.blogspot.co.uk/2012/02/motherhood-depression-and-weaning.html#more always helps to 'know' someone who has been in that situation.
    Much Love, Maz xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kara, when you find out what's going on with the bottle strike, would you mind posting about it?? We are going through the same thing here. Caroline is almost 9 months old and still exclusively breastfed, but she will not take a bottle of breastmilk during the day with the sitter. Same bottles, same milk, nothing has changed - just refusing the bottle! My doctor told me to try different nipples/bottles but that is not helping. It seems like she's waiting for me to get home and then she nurses, but during the day we just have to pump her up with solid foods.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If shes not wanting to take the bottle isnt that a sign that they are ready for sippy cups?

    ReplyDelete
  8. i've been a reader for a long time and always wanted to write a currently post like yours but JUST got around to it this week! thanks for the inspiration. :) http://www.fieryandopinionated.com/2013/05/currently.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. My friend had the bottle strike issue right around the same age with her son. She switched from bottles to these little honey bear bottles with a straw based on the advice from her child's physical therapist. It was a lifesaver!!! She ordered 5 of them immediately and her little boy just loved them. Here are a couple of sites to get them from:

    http://www.talkingchild.com/shop_HoneyBearCupwithStraw.aspx

    http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Juice-Bear-Teaching-Drinking/dp/B005RD66BC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1369878340&sr=8-1&keywords=honey+bear+cup

    Hope this helps :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting!!

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground