On My Heart: The aftermath

Friday, May 17, 2013


I celebrated my first official Mother's Day last Sunday. 

Matt let me go back to sleep after Brighton nursed and while she napped later that morning, he surprised me with a new bicycle, a gift card, a cute little sundress and donuts for a late breakfast. Later that day, we piled into the car and headed to the local green way, where we rode our bikes, pulling Brighton behind us in one of those amazing kid bike trailers, the sun on our shoulders. We ate a simple picnic under a large tree at my favorite park, pushed our baby in the swings, laid in the sun for a bit, then headed home. After Brighton went to bed for the night, Matt cooked us pork chops and roasted potatoes and brussel sprouts and we just enjoyed each other's company.

So it was a close to perfect day.

And while it was close to perfect, there was something nagging at me the entire time. While I enjoyed the presents and the food and the sun and my husband, and of course, my daughter's company, I kept thinking back to all the Mother's Days before this. Each one leading up to last year, felt worse than the last, and I felt all at once relieved to not be in the same place, but also guilty to not be in the same place.

There is a solidarity that comes with suffering. No one tells you this while you're in it, and it's hard to sense it because suffering is a tricky beast that makes you feel isolated. But when you find another human who has suffered in a similar way, you instantly feel a kinship with them. Infertility, while a horrible, shame-inducing, maddening disease, had it's own blessings - it brought about some of the most amazing connections, relationships and encouragements in my life. I have met so many women with the same diagnosis and to hear their stories was to hear my own heart spoken over and over again. Infertility became a weird sisterhood to me and there were times when I felt more connected with the women I knew through that vehicle than my closest friends.

When I became a mother, I felt like I broke that sisterhood. Everyone wants to be out of the infertility sorority because we all want to be parents, but there is a guilt factor that I didn't expect. I was elated to be pregnant, to have finally beaten my diagnosis, but as I celebrated and rejoiced in my miracle, I was also acutely aware of how hard this would be for my sisterhood. They wanted what I wanted, and they wanted me to have it too, but they also felt envy and jealousy and anger for every one of us who received it. I know because I felt all those things as I watched some of these women overcome the dreaded "I" word through pregnancy and I was left behind.

Let me be clear: I love my daughter. I love her more than I thought it would be possible to love another human being. She brings life to my heart every day, but her presence reminds me, more often that I'd prefer to admit, that I suffered long to have her with me. I would do it all over again if it meant she was to be part of our family, but I cannot forget what it took to bring her here to us. I feel guilty for loving her so much and I feel guilty for delighting in her in such a public way and I feel guilty for the gift of her life when so many women are not mothers and who so desperately want to be.

I know I have lost some of my credibility in the infertility community as I am no longer childless, but I am still haunted by it. Infertility was too long of a part of my life for me to so easily forget. I still look for that woman at every dinner party, at every coffee date, at every girls night out - the one that I can see myself in that cringes ever so slightly or fakes an interested smile when the conversation turns to motherhood, or birth, or breastfeeding or pre-school selection. I look for her and I feel the need to protect her because there is nothing worse than a reminder that hope is deferred and your heart is sick and it seems that everyone around you is totally ignorant as to how hard it is to not burst into tears or throw a plate at a wall every time someone brings up the subject of babies.

I used to be that fragile woman. At times, I still am. And so my burden is this: I loved being celebrated and celebrating the joy of motherhood on a nationally recognized holiday, but I hated that there are so many women out there that for whom this day is an awful reminder of what they do not have and why they do not have it.

No one ever talks about the aftermath of Mother's Day. For those celebrated it brings back sweet memories, but for those who have waited so long for that title of Mother, the day was just another of suffering, this time amplified by a thousand greeting cards, and Facebook updates and flower commercials and Instagram pictures of babies. Every year on Mother's Day while we were struggling through infertility, I lost my shit. I cannot help but remember the deep ache of longing, the self-induced shame and the constant tears. It was inelegant and ugly and I have been trying to come back from days like that ever since.

Mother's Day will most likely have it's difficult moments for me forever. I will enjoy it, I will treasure the appreciation from my husband and daughter, and I will thank God for giving me the chance to be a mama; but I can't forget all the Mother's Days that were filled with grief and I cannot forget that there are still so many, too many, who are struggling for the title of mother.

21 comments:

  1. kara,

    although i never battled infertility, this post really spoke to me as my mom passed away when i was 8. although the holiday is definitely one to be celebrated, you are right to remember those who are hurting... the pain of the hard trials we experience never fully goes away and can serve as a beautiful although trying reminder to remember those not as fortunate.

    i have followed your blog for a while and have loved your posts. my little was born 10/7/12 so brighton serves as a little "preview" of what is to come.

    thank you so much for sharing this,
    bria
    wigglelife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so sorry that the day is difficult for you as well. I cannot imagine your heartache due to your mother's passing. I pray that you would have peace and grace for these days to come.

      Delete
  2. this is so good, I shared it on my facebook page. I think if you are of the age where you and your friends are having kids its important to remember this. It is such a struggle! I was able to get pregnant pretty quickly (9 months of trying) but even in that short time I became a little jaded and seriously obsessive. Its such a hard, hard topic. To have friends going through the struggle while I have a baby, its so tough. There just aren't the right words... Thank you for writing this :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very well written, Kara. Thank you for your honesty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been reading this blog for over 3 years when I searched for an infertility blog. Still after 5 years of infertility and all the changes that have happened her eon the blog I still come. I ask myself "I wonder what Kara, Matt and Brighton are up to?" I remember crying when you announced you were expecting. You are right through infertility you create these bonds with women that sometimes you have never met or perhaps even spoke to. To come here and read this post brought so many emotions along with tears. Thank you for everything you Kara!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Megan I am so glad you are still here and reading. If you ever need to talk, please email me!!

      Delete
  5. Hello Kara,
    What a moving post! Before reading, I thought that I would not celebrate Mother's Day this year (in France it's on May, 26th) but I will.
    thank you for reminding me that motherhood is not a right, it is a present.
    When single and childless, a few years back, I kept losing my marbles, at home, alone, after listening to married AND expecting girlfriends talking for hours about pregnancies and baby -related subjects.I was alone, sad, devastated and wondered why on earth I was alone...
    Also, I would like to say that it is very thoughtful of you to remember these people -women, men and couples, who are still struggling with infertility.
    Keep your head up and enjoy life with your husband and baby daughter.you deserve to be happy in spite of what you have been through.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kara,
    Thank you so much for writing about this. I was diagnosed with polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) recently and I'm part of that infertility sorority. This post really meant a lot to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mrs. Kee! I am so sorry to hear about PCOS, but I know so many women who had it and were still able to conceive and deliver healthy children. I'm believing the best for you!

      Delete
  7. Kara, thanks for writing this. one week before mother's day we experienced a failed adoption. Thank you for this post, my heart has felt sick lately and I've been faking smiles. Thanks for remembering us that aren't there yet but someday will be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Angela, I am incredibly heartbroken to hear about this. Please let me know if you ever need to talk. I felt so isolated when it happened to us...

      Praying for you, your heart and your husband too. Lots of love to you!

      Delete
  8. Thanks for posting this. . . I understand the tug-of-war feelings of infertility/motherhood as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for this. So often when someone breaks out of the infertile group and finally gets her miracle, the rest of us, though happy for her, feel like she just ups and forgets about the rest of us. It's so nice to hear that maybe that's not the case. Perhaps there are others like you that continue to remember those of us that are still struggling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know there are many who are in the same boat as me - mothers who struggled so long and so hard to get there, but now on the other side, feel guilty for getting their heart's desire. I wish more people were open about it.

      Delete
  10. I was really hoping you would be willing to share your heart about this mothers day. Your post last year about Mothers Day really touched my heart - I've re-read it several times and sent it to multiple people.
    Last April my husband and I had a stillborn son. I've resonated with many of your thoughts on grief, being childless, effects on relationship with God, etc. It's good to hear from another battered heart. There is wisdom that comes out of struggle and heartbreak - thank you for sharing.

    I also somewhat understand your feelings about losing your "club" of infertile mama's. I am in the stillborn "club", but we're happily expecting again. I will always be in the stillborn club, even if this baby makes it. Just as you will always have your heart in the infertility club - those are parts of our histories the present does not erase.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, I am so sorry to hear about your loss. I cannot begin to imagine the pain and sorrow you have endured since that day. My prayers are with you and your husband, and I'm so encouraged to hear that you are expecting again. Hugs and love to you!

      Delete
  11. This was your best post yet.... you nailed on the head how I felt this Mother's Day with my new daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks to everyone for their sweet comments. It is such an honor to have all of you here in my online family!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting!!

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground