I have always preferred drugstore brand makeup as a
whole because it offers you tons of options for a fair price. Also,
since a lot of the drugstore brands try to mimic pricier brands (e.l.f.
consistently comes out with Sephora and MAC
knockoffs, ) you can purchase a lot of new items for less.
Here are my makeup basics using all drugstore
brands! These are the items I use every day, regardless of how I choose
to wear eyeshadow, eyeliner or lipstick. The total for these items (save the anti-wrinkle cream) is
less than $20!
![]() |
| Blurry iPhone photo alert!!! |
Face
I have never been a fan of foundation, but I like
to have a little coverage, especially in areas where I have sun damage. I
used mineral powder for a long time, but was never satisfied with the
results. BB Creams have been a godsend, but
some of the formulas are still a little too thick for my taste, so I
mix my day moisturizer with equal parts
CoverGirl BB Cream in Fair/Light and apply that to my entire face and part of my neck using my fingers. Then I use
CoverGirl Invisible blemish concealer in fair underneath my eyes and
across my upper lip (I have tons of freckles there and it can make me
look weird if I don’t cover them up) and apply it with a foundation
brush.
I also apply a healthy dose of
e.l.f. Studio Blush in Twinkle Pink for spring/summer and in Tickled
Pink for fall/winter on the apples of my cheeks with a fluffy blush
brush. e.l.f.’s blush is really sheer and has a little sheen to it, so
it looks natural and gives your cheeks a nice
flush!
Eyes
I have just become a fan of filling in my eyebrows –
I feel like it really finishes your face and makes you look younger. I
stopped plucking my eyebrows a few years ago (good lord did I used to
overtweeze!), save the strays that were in
between my eyes and the ones in my eyelid area. Over the years the
edges of my eyebrows have thinned out, so I apply the powder from
e.l.f. Studio Eyebrow Kit
in Light with a stiff makeup brush to fill them in, and finish them
with a sweep of the wax using the little applicator brush that comes
with the kit to keep
them in place.
Then I curl my lashes 3 times – once at the base,
once halfway up, then again on the ends (holding for 3 seconds each time
so they really stay curled) and apply 4-5 coats of
CoverGirl Lashblast Volumizing Mascara in Very Black.
![]() |
| A blurry iPhone selfie - but this is me with just the basics on and a little lipstick |
What are your makeup basics?


Looks very natural! I will have to try that concealer since I've been on the look-out for one to try that wasn't too expensive. I have that same mascara and I like it pretty good but I can't say it's lived up to all the hype I heard about it before I purchased it. I really liked the Physicians Formula organic mascara I tried before it better.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing! I was looking for a good drugstore BB cream... I ran out of the Clinique (which I loved) and wanted to try something cheaper, but the Garnier stuff was awful :( Will have to pick up the CG version.
ReplyDeleteI just started filling in my brows a few months ago as well. Powder is definitely the most natural-looking option. I'll never go back!
looking good Kara
ReplyDelete