Giving Up Social Media

Tuesday, March 4, 2014


What would happen if I didn’t document my days through Instagram, Twitter, Vine, Facebook and Blogger?

Well I’m about to find out. I’m giving up social media for Lent. I normally give up something food related, but over the last year or so I have noticed that my habits have become increasingly dependent upon my iPhone. It is always with me, and I check social media more times a day that I should. It has sucked away my extra time, my attention and my energy. It has stunted my ability to have normal conversations with people I love. 

So it’s due time to give it up for a season – 40 days to be exact. I’m deleting the apps from my phone later tonight. 

I’m weirdly nervous and excited. I hope this will help me unlearn my bad habits – checking my phone at dinner, in the car at stoplights, during commercials, every hour at work when I have a break. 

What will I do with all that extra time? How will I start conversations without, "Hey I saw you did 'xyz' on Facebook/Vine/IG. How was it?"? How will I know what my friends are up to?! 

Guess I'll have to figure it out the normal way - by spending time with people and engaging in real conversation again. Wish me luck. 

See you around April 20th!



PS for some great blog reads in my absence, check out my Daily Reads page! 

6 comments:

  1. I love this idea!! I'm totally considering joining you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Luck!!! I also spend WAY to much time on my phone and this is a really great idea for Lent and is it sad to say that I don't know if I can do it?! I'll answer my own question, yes it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually deleted my facebook about 3 weeks ago. I was feeling that I had outgrown it and honestly its been SO nice. My husband has never had it and I noticed recently just how much more "in touch" he is with his family and friends. I think I would skip texting and calling friends to see how they were doing because I would see their pics and updates daily. Now I'm much more in tune and I feel I've become reconnected with many of my friends!

    A friend is actually giving up social media for lent too and said she's replacing it with reading "Hands Free Mama" (www.amazon.com/Hands-Free-Mama--Do-Perfection/dp/031033813) I can't personally recommend it but I'm picking up my loaner from the library tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish I saw this yesterday - maybe you'll get the email about the book ;) Good luck, Kara!

      Delete
  4. Hi. I wanted to drop you a quick note to express my thanks. I've been following your blog for a month or so and have picked up a ton of good information as well as enjoyed the way you've structured your site. I am attempting to run my own blog but I think its too general and I want to focus more on smaller topics. Being all things to all people is not all that its cracked up to be.

    Science technology news

    ReplyDelete
  5. hello Kara,

    so so sorry I have not been here in a long time but I have been terrible at juggling work, life etc.

    Well that is a great decision you have taken. Social media has completely transformed the way we interact and thats why I have decided to "disobey". here : no blog, no facebook, no IG just Life. And Freedom.
    You look absolutely on this picture. Thank you for being such an incredible lady.

    ps : I haope you got my mail back from when I contacted you personnaly.

    Love

    Laurence, from Paris

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting!!

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground