My reading list: a year later

Tuesday, January 27, 2015


A year ago I challenged myself to read 50 books in a year. Sadly I didn't make it - I read 34 books, 15 from my original list, the rest either recommended to me, or ones that I found interest in after I created this list.

Here is what I read from my original list (only 16 of the 50):
About Alice - Calvin Trillin
Adventures of Huckleberry Finn - Mark Twain
Allegiant - Veronica Roth
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland - Lewis Carroll
Autobiography of Red - Anne Carson
Betsy in Spite of Herself - Maud Hart Lovelace
Cry the Beloved Country - Alan Paton
The Education of Little Tree - Forrest Carter
Eleanor & Park - Rainbow Rowell
The Fault in our Stars - John Green
The Fire Next Time - James Baldwin
Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn
The Happiness Project - Gretchen Rubin
Happier at Home - Gretchen Rubin
Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? - Mindy Kaling
Strong Willed Child - James Dobson

And here is what I read that wasn't on the list (18 books not on the original list):
Savages – Don Winslow
The Kings of Cool – Don Winslow
The Children of Men – PD James
The Passage – Justin Cronin
Twelve – Justin Cronin
Landline – Rainbow Rowell
Dad is Fat – Jim Gaffigan
The Best of Me – Nicholas Sparks
Crimson Roses – Grace Hill
It’s Kind of a Funny Story – Ned Vizzini
Brain on Fire – Susannah Cassan
#Girlboss – Sophia Amoruso
A Thousand Splendid Suns – Khaled Hosseini
Packaging Girlhood – Sharon Lamb & Lyn Mikel Brown
Ready Player One – Ernest Cline
An Abundance of Katherines – John Green
World War Z – Max Brooks
Brain on Fire – Susannah Cahalan

I think for this next year, I'll still aim for 50, but not make a formal list. But if you have a book recommendation, I'd love to hear it!


6 comments:

  1. I was just listing to a podcast where the lady read 52 books last year. There are a lot of Christian books in the list but she several that I had never heard of. The podcast is The Happy Hour with Jamie Ivey and it's podcast #28 with Lindsey Paschal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just finished "The Secret Keeper" by Kate Morton and I absolutely loved it. It makes me want to write a blog so I can shout from the rooftops that other people should read it.

    Also, do you use GoodReads? That is my favorite way to find new books to read. My friends use it so we can all recommend books to each other or let someone know when a specific book isn't worth their time. If you haven't already, you should check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My book club just did The Rent Collector and it was awesome!! I would also recommend The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry- another book club favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 34 books in a year is a huge accomplishment - congrats! :-) I love the variety on your list too. I am going to recommend a YA book, because the author is one of my students and I think he and the book are awesome (plus the 2nd book in the series is coming out this summer)! The Indigo Thief, by Jay Budgett.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband & I just started "By This Name" by John R. Cross and I am super-excited about it! It's an objective explanation of the Bible from beginning to end and it is really easy reading. Totally recommend it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, just thought of another one! My husband bought me "Loved by Choice" by Susan Horner & Kelly Fordyce Martindale this Christmas and it didn't take me long to read at all! Packed full of true stories about adoption, told from many different perspectives, about many different adoptions. Very moving.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting!!

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground