As you know,
we just refinished our floors,
revamped the fireplace and moved the doorway to the kitchen. Next on the list was some additions to the kitchen itself. Rather than posting the pictures as we went, I figured it would be more fun to do an HGTV-like reveal (warning: picture heavy).
This is BEFORE...
 |
| This was before we moved in - the guy who "flipped" the house ran out of money. Hence the half done kitchen! |
 |
| So we finished the kitchen right after we bought the house, adding cabinets, countertops and a dishwasher. |
We lived with the kitchen like that for the last four years - it was cramped, slightly small, and had an awkward entry due to the doorway being slightly off from the galley way.
This is the AFTER...
 |
| Isn't it great?!! |
 |
| AFTER - Don't you love the yellow and gray together?!? |
 |
| AFTER - The countertop on the right doesn't match the new on the left. Ikea ran out of butcher block, so we will be replacing that side when the next shipment comes in. |
 |
| AFTER - That microwave is going bye-bye! We're buying a new one to install above the stove. |
 |
| AFTER - The microwave with hood will go there. |
 |
| AFTER - I'm in love this with room! Isn't that sink amazing?! |
This is what we did to create this space:
- Moved the entry/doorway so it lined up with the galley.
- Realigned the upper cabinets on the sink/stove side to accommodate the soon to be purchased microwave with hood.
- Installed - two new lower cabinets next to the entryway to finish off the galley; installed the door and window moldings, bead board back splash, farmhouse sink and faucet, the countertops, cabinet knobs.
- Stained and poly-ed the counter tops; primed and painted the cabinets, moldings, door and window frames; the bead board and the walls.
Let's look again and the before and after, but this time side by side:
 |
| !!! |
 |
| !!! |
We did most of this in about nine days, save the move of the doorway which was done last month. My husband is a machine. I was impatient (so I painted every night last week!) We did it all for less than $1000!All we have left to do is install the counter top on the side with the window, and buy the microwave.
Then "Project Remodel Everything In Our Home" is done. For now at least... ;)
Kara!! i LOVE the yellow and gray:) I've wanted to paint our kitchen cabinets too...it looks soooo good! I know you guys are relieved to be somewhat done with it and now you can ENJOY it:)
ReplyDeleteThis looks so good! I am seriously impressed! LOVE the counter tops and the sink!!
ReplyDeleteOH MY GOSH!!!!! this is AMAZING KARA!!!! eeeee! soooo pretty!
ReplyDeletelooks great!
ReplyDeleteIt's really beautiful! I love it! We too have an ikea kitchen.. http://rosenfried.blogspot.com/2011/01/our-new-home.html
ReplyDeletewe don't own, but the kitchen is beautiful still. I love the grey/yellow scheme!
Awesome!
ReplyDeleteLove the yellow!!
ReplyDeleteIt looks awesome! I LOVE the cabinets. I want to see this in person because we want to give our kitchen a little "face-lift" too! Great job!
ReplyDeletethis looks so awesome Kara!!!
ReplyDeletei love the gray color.. so subtle and sweet.. yet clean and modern! love love love everything! so nice.
great job!