I broke a few of the "pregnancy rules" during my 41 weeks. I did everything in my power to keep my daughter safe and healthy, but when it came to all those silly myths and old wives tales, I threw caution to the wind. Here are the "rules" I broke:
- I ate sushi 4 times during pregnancy - ahi tuna and yellow fin only.
- After 20 weeks, I had a 3 oz glass of wine every once in a while - midwife approved!
- I forgot to take my pre-natal vitamins sometimes.
- I consumed caffeine - either coffee or Coke - limiting it to one drink a day.
- I sometimes slept on my back and right side.
- I had my hair highlighted every 4 months.
- I stood in front of the microwave while I heated up food.
- I didn't read the pregnancy books everyone gave me.
- I painted my master bedroom (it was low VOC paint).
- I got in a hot tub for 10 minutes once.
And guess what? Brighton turned out PERFECT! No complications, no health issues, nothing. I am fine too! Isn't it interesting that we get our panties in a wad over these crazy things? It's all about moderation and balance.
P.S. Here are the things I did "right": I ensured that the extra calories I was supposed to consume daily were healthy and I drank a lot of water. I had a protein shake daily which was enriched with vitamins and minerals (same stuff as my pre-natal vitamins). I read a bunch of child rearing books to prepare me for parenthood. I stretched daily, went to the chiropractor to ensure I was ready for labor and lifted small weights to keep my muscle strength up.
I absolutely love this - thanks for your honesty, and still treating yourself throughout cooking little Brighton!
ReplyDeleteLove this! So happy for you - Brighton is beautiful and precious. And... I broke most of the same "rules" that you did. My 18 month old is happy, healthy and quite precocious!
ReplyDeleteLOL! You were living on the edge :-) Don't sweat it. She is beautiful and healthy and that is all that matters!
ReplyDeleteLove this!! Fun to read this morning!
ReplyDelete(ps. New follower!)
kevinandlaurahilton.blogspot.com
Yesssss! I did the SAME THINGS and people were so up in my face about it. But like you, my child turned out just fine. Thank you for being awesome.
ReplyDeleteWell done. You have to enjoy life when you are pregnant!.
ReplyDeleteYou followed your instincts and you were right. That is the same thing when you deal with your child on a daily basis. You have to break the " rules" and rear your child the way you think is the best for you, your child and your family.
Congrats by te way,
Laurence
I ate sushi too, forgot my prenatals and painted lol. My sister looked at me and in such a voice of concern said she would never eat sushi while pregnant (pretty much calling me a horrible person) BUT I have never met someone who drinks more Splenda (all thru her first pregnancy and she's 24 weeks now) I don't drink any artificial sweetners but we all do what we feel if best for our babies.
ReplyDeleteI look at it this way. How the heck did any baby survive before all these rules were forced upon pregnant ladies?? Moderation people!!
I think a lot of women break the "rules." I didn't take one prenatal vitamin, ate sushi, painted my nails, dyed my hair, etc. I think the worrying about your pregnancy can be a lot worse for you than just actually doing a little bit of this and that here and there. :)
ReplyDeleteI followed all of the rules 100% -- not a sip of caffeine, no lunch meat, no nothing, I even wore a radiation-proof blanket on my belly when using a phone or a computer. (I was a mess, LOL!) And I still had a horrible delivery, pregnancy and birth experience. Pssh. I was so bitter! Haha.
ReplyDeleteI've also noticed that now that my son and I have a lot of friends from other countries, the "rules" are so different everywhere and yet all of these children are healthy and happy. Some of our friends where they're from are encouraged to eat sushi and fish while pregnant. Another was told their child's first solids should be fish, berries and honey. I'm learning to not be so neurotic through this process, haha.
I had one cup of coffee every single day! :) Clara was born healthy and happy!
ReplyDeleteYou gotta live a little, right? I would probably still get my hair done too! Congrats on Brighton! I grew up snowboarding at Brighton!
ReplyDelete