On Going Back To Work

Monday, February 11, 2013

My three times daily work ritual - pumping in a conference room.
 So I survived my first week back at work.

I knew I would. It's not like it was an end of the world scenario, but leading up to this week, my heart and head made it seem like it was a tragedy. I knew that placing my baby in someone else's care during part of the week was inevitable and I tried not to think about it too much until I was at the very end of my maternity leave.

I did everything I could to prepare for life as two working parents - I made a ton of baby food and froze it. I went through all of Brighton's clothes and weeded out the items that didn't fit anymore and brought out some of her bigger sizes from storage. I made a detailed document about Brighton's eating and sleeping habits for her babysitters. I started pumping again (consistently) about a month ago, making sure I had plenty of milk as a backup supply. I was more diligent about getting her on a eating and napping cycle so her daytime caretakers would have an easier time following her cues.

In my last week on maternity leave, I tried to spend every moment I could just enjoying her, soaking her in. Every time I felt sad, I tried to count my blessings. I had almost six months with her after all - it was far more than most working parents received with their child. But then my last weekend before that dreaded Monday came and the anxiety hit me fast and hard. I spent most of Saturday night sweating through my shirt and pacing the house. Finally I had the sense to text some of my girlfriends and ask them to pray for me (Matt was at a birthday party). And they did and I felt an inkling of peace.

That Sunday night as I put Brighton to bed I told myself that something had to change - either my circumstances or my heart. I asked God to help me figure out which one to focus on and it was perfectly clear:

My heart needed to change.  As I prayed, I was reminded...

... that going back to work full-time is the right choice for right now. Of course I want to be at home full-time with my baby, but the right thing for our family is for me to work and receive a paycheck and all the benefits that come with it - like good health insurance and paid vacation and sick time and flexible work arrangements.

... that Brighton will be taken care of by her grandmothers, who are capable, healthy, amazing women who did a darn good job of raising me and Matt. They love my daughter fiercely and are eager to help care for her while Matt and I are at work during the day. I couldn't ask for better for my baby.

... that most of my co-workers are just like me - working mothers with young children. They are the most supporative team I could ask for because we are all trying to figure this thing out - working and providing and raising our children.

... that my boss will allow me to work from home two days a week, which allows me to see Brighton a little more and relives me of two days of pumping milk and washing bottles.

... that just because someone else is caring for my child during the day, I am still her mother. Matt and I are raising her, caring for her, providing for her. Working outside the home doesn't cancel that.

... that nothing is permanent. This job could go away tomorrow, or we could realize 6 months from now that this isn't the right choice anymore. I am not married to my job. I am not imprisoned by it either.


Monday morning came. And I cried before I left for work. And I cried on the way to work. And I teared up the minute anyone asked me about Brighton that morning.

I tried to hold it together so I thought of all the good things God reminded me of. I counted my blessings and the day got easier, and each day after was easier than the last. I started to feel peace in my heart. I still missed Brighton terribly and hated that my time during most of the week with her was limited to a morning nursing session and a few hours in the evening before she went to bed, but it turned out ok every single day. She was fine. I was getting there. And I know it will continue to get easier as time passes and that my heart won't feel so heavy each morning as I kiss my baby goodbye.

So for now, I am a working outside of the home mother. This is the hard choice I have made. I'm sure there will be days when I am grateful for my situation, and other days when I want to throw in the towel and quit; but since my circumstances aren't going to change right now, thankfully my heart has.

20 comments:

  1. With my first baby it took two to three weeks before I was ok leaving him and working. It does get easier, and all those things you wrote are absolutely true. Hang in there!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so completely understand. Right now I'm the one bringing in the income, and have since my baby was 6 weeks old. He is 16 months now, and honestly for me it's never gotten any easier to leave him, despite the fact that his daddy is home taking care of him. I just miss him every day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's the thing that bothers me so much - it's missing her. I totally trust my mom and Matt's mom to take good care of her. I just don't want to miss out on anything.

      Delete
  3. When Brighton is older she's going to be so thankful to have such a hardworking momma to look up to. You're setting a good example for her, and although I am sure it is so hard...it's worth it! Praying for you and your sweet family! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know how you feel. I remember walking out of the church where I take my girls for half day daycare for the first time. I was a wreck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. so thankful you get to work from home two days! that is a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. a HUGE blessing - one I don't take for granted at all!

      Delete
  6. I can't believe it's already been 6 months! I can't say I fully relate because I don't have any children of my own but I can only assume how hard it is. Sending positive "new working mommy" vibes your way!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Keep your head up and know that what's meant to be will be. <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are such a great mom!

    ReplyDelete
  9. going back to work sucks. It is never easy. Some weeks you feel like the best mom ever and that you are providing for your family and being a strong role model for your daughter and other days you cry just thinking about her and miss her so much your heart aches. For me I had to find a balance. I had to give myself time, patience and understanding and PRAY!

    Couple of random pumping tips that helped me ( I hated every minute of pumping and did it 3 to 4 times a day for a year)
    1) get a soft bathroom or flannel shirt to wear over your shoulders why pumping to stay cozy
    2) i found a sports bra with strategically placed holes was the best handsfree pumping bra
    3) order lots of extra pumping parts and after last pump dissemble and place on top rack of dishwasher - between pumps store parts in fridge
    4) Drink lots of water

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the tips! The sports bra is a must!

      Delete
  10. I hope it gives you some peace & serenity to know you are in so many hearts wishing you well with this transition. You go, mama!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a blessing you can work from home 2x a week. That is awesome. I love your attitude in this post. It is not easy to admit when we need to change our hearts. I admire your perspective here.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am going through the same thing right now. My daughter is 5 months and I went back to work 2 weeks ago. It was so incredibly hard leaving her, but I know it's the best thing for our family right now as well. I was lucky that my boss allowed me to drop down to half days, but it is still so difficult leaving her everyday! (And pumping at work? Just plain awkward!! I work at a hospital and there is nothing like alarms going off while you're sitting in a small,gorified storage closet trying to pump as fast as you can). Good luck and I know it will continue to get easier!! And isn't the smile your baby girl gives you when you get home the greatest!? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely the greatest. Pumping is the worst esp when you're in a tiny room and everyone knows what you're doing!

      Delete
  13. Mo, Jessica, Ali and Blake - Thank you for your sweet comments and encouragement. Y'all are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  14. just getting caught up on your blog ... i can't imagine how hard this is/has been. i just wrote a very different post about wanting to go back to work outside the home (I do freelance writing and editing from home now), but not being able to afford childcare. three days a week sounds like a good situation; i hope you continue to feel better and better about it. you're doing an awesome job!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting!!

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground