Phantom Crying

Wednesday, December 11, 2013

The bathroom fan is on. I’m trying to simultaneously comb through my wet hair and apply face moisturizer. I’m in a hurry because it’s 7:00 am and my daughter will be awake at any moment. In fact, I think she is because I can hear her crying. Her bedroom shares a wall with the bathroom and the doorways are next to one another so I open the door softly as to not make additional noise.

I step into the dark hallway and hear…. nothing save the roar of the bathroom fan. I walk into my bedroom and check the video monitor – nothing, no crying, no whimpering, just her breath slow and deep as she continues to sleep.


I startle awake. The room is still dark, but I can hear my baby girl crying softly through the monitor. She is grumpy because she has woken up too much between sleep cycles and struggles a little to find her blankie in her crib and a comfortable position to restart her slumber. I turn the monitor down slightly, but watch her. I’ll give her 5 minutes to figure it out on her own. I pray she falls back asleep without my help.

I roll over to adjust the comforter over me and Matt and close my eyes for a moment. A few minutes later I hear her crying again, and flick on the monitor to see what she is doing. She is fast asleep on her belly, her little legs tucked under her. I close my eyes again, but hear her crying again. Again I check the monitor. Again, nothing.


I am alone in Target. This is a small miracle and I celebrate by buying a coffee at Starbucks. I leisurely walk through the aisles, shopping list in hand and compare prices. As I push my cart to the grocery section, I hear a child crying. It sounds like my own baby, so I walk faster to the sound. Although my head knows my child is at home with my husband, my heart hears my baby’s voice. I turn down the aisle and see, of course, that the child is not mine.

I can hear her high-pitched wail ringing in my ears for the rest of my time in the store.


Matt and I stand in the kitchen talking about our day as the laundry runs in the washer next to us. Our daughter, just out of sight in the adjacent living room, plays with a few toys, her little feet stomping back and forth across the hardwood floors. I hear her footsteps fade into the hallway and we continue our conversation. All of a sudden I hear crying. I ask Matt, “Is Brighton crying?” and he says he can’t hear anything. I run to the back of the house and find her sitting in her rocking chair, happily flipping through a board book.


This insanity is what I call phantom crying. Maybe it is the sound of a high pitched noise, or another child, or my fear, but I hear it everywhere I go. I am haunted by the ghost of the crying baby. Am I alone in this? Does anyone else hear the phantom crying?  

14 comments:

  1. yes, this has happened to me after my first two babies were born. i told my husband about it and in my spirit i knew the Lord was quietly letting me know that we were supposed to have more children. it hasn't happened yet since our little man was born. i think i am too tired to even notice real crying or phantom crying at the moment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear it too especially when I am busy into something while my children sleep. I will check on them and they are usually fine. I don't know what the deal is with that!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh man, phantom crying - yes, all the time! two kids later and i still hear phantom crying at least once a day - which is rare because there usually is a kid actually crying.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, you are not alone. Motherly instinct with borderline insanity??? I can't ignore it because the one time I do, I'll probably regret it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hear it all of the time! My husband thinks I'm crazy. lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. i hear it too! it's kind of annoying, especially when i bolt upright in bed or get a bit angry with DH for being loud, when in fact, our son is sound asleep.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hear this constantly, especially in the shower!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Every time I try to take a shower while my daughter naps she phantom cries.Every single time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used to hear it when I was drying my hair or showering or vacuuming. Now that my kids are bigger, I don't hear it very often. The hungry sound of a small baby crying in a store will make me kind of frantic still though. I want to yell, "Somebody please feed that baby." :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I used to hear it at night while trying to sleep. Now that's she two and a half, I only hear in while I'm in the shower. So strange!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hear it every time I get in the shower. That is it, though - just the shower. No where else.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have two littles (3 1/2 and 19 months) and I hear it pretty regularly too. Though less regularly than I used to hear it. I heard that it is a sign of anxiety, and started praying about it and asking that if that were true I'd be able to slow down/calm down. Letting go of needing to be in control all the time to make things near perfect most all the time, and just letting things be what they are helped me a lot with the phantom crying slowing down! I do agree that it happens most often to me while in the shower.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I never knew how to explain this to my husband so thanks for not making me feel too crazy :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happens to me too :-) And if I go somewhere at lunch and hear a baby cry (or anywhere when my son isn't with me) I get so sad! It makes me miss him so much!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting!!

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground