41 Weeks

Monday, August 13, 2012

 I've omitted the regular weekly "survey" since nothing has changed since last week. 

I knew I'd be pregnant for at least 41 weeks. This is my first baby, my pregnancy has been complication free (praise God!) and I have not shown any signs of going early. Being pregnant for an extra week hasn't been all kittens and roses, but the exhaustion, achy hips, random bouts of contractions and summer heat are all worth it. I love my daughter and I'll gladly "suffer" through another week of North Carolina August heat for her!

I have a doctor's appointment later today and get to see her on the big screen - I'm thankful that we get to do one more ultrasound to check fluid levels and estimate her size, as well as conduct the non-stress test. Today's appointment will determine how dilated and effaced I am (last week it was 1.5cm and 60%) and what the plan is going forward - either let me continue to progress naturally or schedule an induction. 

The journey to this pregnancy and the life of our daughter was written so differently than I would have ever imagined: We struggled with unexplained infertility for almost five years, all the while going through massive amounts of fertility tests, medical interventions and surgery for me. After hitting so many roadblocks biologically, we decided to adopt an infant through the domestic process subjecting ourselves to massive amounts of paperwork, red tape, bills, bills and more bills and the long waiting process to be chosen by a prospective birth mother. After 9 months of waiting for a match, we were chosen, but 3 months later, at the birth of her son, the birth mother changed her mind (and then Child Protective Services took the child from her). We walked through the grief of losing a baby we had grown to love and started questioning this whole parenthood journey altogether. Last fall was the hardest thing I have ever faced in my life - the grief of our dream of parenthood crushed and broken and the grief of knowing the child we loved would never know us as parents.

However, a month after the adoption failed, we started the adoption process again, but also went back to a reproductive endocrinologist. They did one round of IUI in early November and against all odds, it worked on the very first try. 

At the time and even at times now, my faith was so weak because after all that we had gone through with infertility and a failed adoption, I honestly felt like God had forgotten us.  I was convinced that He was not the embodiment of love and grace and all the things the Bible teaches us and that we would never become parents. I'll never forget the feeling of seeing those two pink lines on the pregnancy test in early December - after so many years of things not working out for us, to see a positive pregnancy test nearly bowled me over. It took me months to believe it. 

I'm still questioning why our story has been written this way and I don't think I'll ever hear the answers on this side of life. What I do know is that my daughter brought me back to God because she helped in the process of restoring my faith. This journey has given me a perspective that I don't think I would have ever achieved without the uphill battle we fought through to get to her life: I am thankful and I am blessed. I am in awe of the miracle of life inside of me and I hope to never take a second of her life for granted.

Darling daughter of mine, your story has already been written with such beauty, hope and joy. I cannot wait to meet you and tell you all about it. I love you to pieces.


24 comments:

  1. You are so cute! Can't wait to see her! Keep us updated after the doc!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have an incredible story. It is inspiring to see how God has lead you thus far and how you are honoring Him through it all. Excited for your soon to be family of three!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are such an inspiration! I tell so many people about your story; it is that inspiring. I am so excited for the newest member of your family to arrive! Thanks so much for sharing your journey with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! I hope the labor is a beautiful experience.. I honestly see you having a daughter by tuesday afternoon

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, i didn't realize that baby M had since been taken from his birth mother....somehow that makes the heartbreak even worse. hopefully he will end up placed with a family like yours, where he can grow up in safety and with love. good luck to you guys, it won't be long now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I told the full story in December on the blog (you can read the whole post in that link above where it says "the birth mother changed her mind".)

      It's heartbreaking and we were told that he would potentially be in foster care for a year as they have to allow the parent time to prove that they can take care of the child. We were told that she continued her irresponsible behavior and the baby was eligible for adoption at 6 months of age. We pray for him weekly that he is with a family who loves him as much as we did (and still do).

      Delete
  6. Gorgeous mama!!! Praying you have a good week and a sweet baby girl soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I cried reading this post! Like tears on chin! You are such an inspiration and your story is so touching. We are battling unexplained infertility and there are days I feel like I can't even believe God can hear me. This post reminded me that he does and that our story will have a happy ending too. Thank you so much for this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God has an incredible story for you too. I believe it and just said a quick prayer for you and your husband. If you ever need to talk or vent, please email me! Hugs and God Bless.

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much! It really helps to feel like people are on your side. We have grown closer to our faith in the process and I am so thankful for that.

      And I can't wait to "meet" Brighton. She is such a precious miracle, I can already tell!

      Delete
  8. such a beautiful post!! Can't wait! She will be here soon and I cant wait! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cannot wait until the new post of when your beautiful daughter arrives.
    Also, if you want to do induce eat eggplant parmeasan. Worked for me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You (and your husband) are such an inspiration! I'm so glad that things worked out for you. I'll be keeping your & your little family in my prayers over the upcoming days! =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. beautiful post! ahhh i'm so excited for you. i can't imagine how painful it's been to go through a journey like yours. this is such a happy ending and beginning!

    ReplyDelete
  12. aw, i love your story. it is an amazing journey alright. my husband and i tried to conceive for SIX LONG YEARS. we couldn't afford much fertility treatment (definitely not covered by insurance) not to mention adoption. last fall it finally happened naturally for us, out of the clear blue sky, and like you said it took me months to believe it and even now i trip out and praise this beautiful life every single moment that i have my brand new daughter near me. best wishes in the world to your little family! so excited to see how the birth goes and to see your tiny darling's face!

    and i'm glad they're giving you a "last minute" ultrasound...if they'd done that for me they might have discovered my baby was breech and perhaps been able to turn her in time, and i could have avoided an emergency c section!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats on your sweet daughter. Six years is a long, long time and I am so happy for you both!!

      Delete
  13. You're almost there!! I just went to almost 42 weeks with my baby. Those last two weeks were the longest of my life, but so worth it. I can't wait to read the post that says Brighton is here!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Soon! And it's awesome to know that this will be a baby that did not happen as an accident (not that those are bad either, seeing as I am one of those) but someone who is wanted and of course will be cherished and loved. Although I don't know you well and only recently started to follow your blog, I am excited for your daughter to arrive. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. You're such an inspiration Kara! I can't wait for you and Matt to meet Brighton!

    ReplyDelete
  16. absolutely love this post! :) Praying for you in this last week. Last month we decided to do a round of clomid (we did 9 iuis, etc in 2008 b4 deciding to adopt). Well I went on a mission trip to Panama towards the end of the cycle and the next day took and test and sure enough Im pregnant. I can hardly believe it too. Im sure it will take months for it to sink in like it did for you. Can't wait for you to have your sweet baby girl in your arms! It will make this whole journey worth every min of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations April! What wonderful news for your family!!!!

      Delete

Thank you so much for commenting!!

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground